Chapter 11 Lady Elisabeth Ashton

The night before my wedding just after Lord Brandon finished our nightly ritual Lady Durham came in to my room. I was about to start reading when she sat on one side of my bed and started explaining what my duties, as a future wife would be. She went on from how to just lie there and let him do his "affair", through how to avoid his favors towards me, but the most important thing that I had to do was to give him an heir. The list went on and on and I was already scared of the coming events and her words that I can only imagine were to sooth me had a complete opposite effect.

"After the wedding and when it is time for the consummating ritual you will be undressed and you will lie on your bed and wait for him. Once he is in the bed with you he will lie on top of you and you will lie there. You let him come into you and once he is done he will go to his chambers. There will be pain, but nothing you cannot handle. You will only need to lie with him until you are with child and he has his heir. For at soon as he has his heir he will most likely go to his mistress and will no longer importune you with his needs. But your outmost duty is for you to be with child and if possible give him his heir in the first year."

I kept quiet and let her talk and as she continued on and on. I could not help to think how blind I was to think that this new life would be better than the one I am to leave. Well at least I know for a fact that he will not hit me, that is a comfort. Letting out the breath I held I sank in deeper into my bed trying to get the images my mother had brought with her words out of my mind. Finally after what seemed hours of verbal torture from Lady Durham finally left my room.

Fighting my frustration I did not hear Lillian walk in to the room. Seeing how distraught I was she gently sat on the same spot Lady Durham had just sat on and tenderly laid her hand upon mine.

"Do not fret poppet. I imagine your mother was here? She means no harm. Would you like to talk to me about what you had discussed?"

"Is it really as awful as she had explained?" Blushing and hiding my face I asked her. I knew if there was one person in my life that is willing to give me an honest answer to whatever topic it would be Lillian. I could go to my brothers or event their wives, but I doubt they would talk of such things to their little sister.

"Each bed is different." Lilian began. "Each husband treats his wife differently. Lord Brandon does not seem to be like some men. I do believe he has been with other women, but that is expected.

"Some men like those your mother mentioned are only with their wives to have an heir, but others do enjoy the company of their wives and will not take a mistress."

"What kind of man do you think Lord Brandon is? Do you think he will be like my mother mentioned? Do you know if he has already a favorite?"

"When we were at Deswood Hall I kept my ears open, I even be friended a few of the maids. It so happens that I found myself talking with Winthrop, his lordship's valet, we sat and asked each other the questions that needed to be asked and answered. If there is someone that knows best your betrothed it would be he. Lord Brandon has had women, but none is known to be his favorite. Either he has no mistress or he is very discreet. There has not been gossip about mistreatment or ungentlemanly like behavior. And from what you have witnessed this past week I doubt he will start mistreating you once you are married.

"Tomorrow night will give you more insight on his character" Lillian gave a small gentle squeeze to my hand, but seeing the anguished look on my face Lillian tried to give me as much comfort as she could. "I have a feeling that Lord Brando will be kind to you. If he is, he will guide you and show you how to please him, maybe even please you. The marriage bed can be a moment to experience of perfect harmony between a husband and a wife. Something I wish for you dearly, you so deserve to be loved. Now you must rest for we have a long day coming."