The Unthinkable - Marcia

Dear Diary,

Of my life since my last entry, two things are most prominent: 

1) I've become one of them  

2) I think...I think I may have made a friend.

I'm not sure if that is what you would call it. Two people who don't hate each other and interact by choice. That's friendship, right? 

Strangely enough, both of these occurrences coincide with one another.

It started, as most of my days do, with the best of intentions. Breakfast, Charms, DADA, morning break, double Transfiguration, lunch.  

And then my day truly began.

We'd been hanging out in our usual spot in the courtyard, wasting away the time before afternoon classes. One moment Wil had been raving about the Slugclub and how he could do no wrong in his precious Professor's eyes, the next he'd nudged Mulciber and they were both up and over the retaining wall and into the cloister.

I'd sighed and packed up my books slowly. I knew that look, and was in no rush to join them. Slinging my bag over my shoulder I stepped leisurely over the wall and around the corner.

The girl gasped softly as Mulciber pushed her up against the wall. Her name was Millie, a third or fourth year from what I remembered. I groaned. This wasn't the first time they had singled her out either. Wil had spent a good 10 minutes ranting about how some crazy little brat had rushed in and blindsided them whilst he, Mulciber and Markiss had been picking on her. I was preparing myself for one of his 2 hour rages before Mulciber pointed out how he'd legged it at the first signs of trouble. He'd gone oddly quiet after that. Mulciber had had his strange smile on as they'd discussed the memory, though even I couldn't help but blurt out a laugh at the recollection of Mulciber being kicked in the groin.

"Well well," Mulciber said, rolling his jaw forwards and revealing a set of perfectly white and utterly terrifying teeth. "What do we have here?"

"Oh you are in for it now!" Wil could hardly contain his excitement. He was shaking with anticipation, as the girl was shaking with fear.

I sighed and turned away, whipping out my diary and adding to my doodle in the margin. That tone meant this would take a while. They were going to savour it. I did my best to tune out the girls pleas as my cohorts entertained themselves. The doodle was going rather well. A full length vine, reaching up the length of the book and contorting itself around the lines on the page. A particularly piercing scream caused me to flinch and dig further into the page than intended. I sighed and snapped the book shut.

Around us there were a few students scattered, but enough to have over-powered my brother and his friend. But of course, they didn't dare. I could hardly blame them. I had to admit, they had the school well trained. They all looked the other way, kept their heads down and found other paths to class. If one of them dared to linger, I'd fix them with an icy stare and they would quickly keep moving.

I took a hesitant glance towards the three. Wil had her pinned up to the wall by her throat, and Mulciber was grasping her wrist and painting a bloody picture on her forearm. It wasn't pretty. I exhaled slowly and silenced my better judgement, turning towards the boys.

"Hey, guys come on. That's gonna scar," I told them.

"Your point?" Mulciber asked, not taking his eyes off his masterpiece.

"My point is they are going to see that and know who did it."

"No they're not. That doesn't make sense." Mulciber said.

"The only way they will know who did is if this little bitch tells." Wil tightened his grip on the frightened girl's throat. "Which you aren't, are you?"