The Lesson - Liron

I couldn't have been more wrong about this year; so far it's becoming one of the worst I've ever experienced. 

I guess I should begin trying to explain...  

I think my optimistic start was perhaps what got me into this mess. I tried telling myself everything would wonderful and amazing and I also told myself I'd forget about Scabiour.    That didn't happen...  

As I got off the Hogwarts Express, I managed to trip over someone's cloak that was dragging on the ground and clumsily fall into a group of Slytherin's, who, in that predictable Slytherin fashion, laughed at me and didn't even bother trying to help me up.   

As I began staggering away, I caught sight of Scabiour in the midst of the group grinning at the jokes his friends were now making about Ravenclaws. My heart started to pound and the heat in my cheeks was not only from embarrassment. Well, I supposed, at least he wasn't adding to the childish remarks.     

"I thought they were supposed to be clever; the Sorting Hat was obviously a little confused when it housed her!"  

I heard his words and I heard the laughter that came after it and my heart sunk. Scabiour hadn't changed. Every time I thought he was somewhat decent, considering he's a Slytherin, he goes and says or does something that never fails to hurt me. Maybe I should give up on the thought of us getting together but it's quite a difficult thing to be able to do, Jasmine will tell you that.  

Well... At least the guy Jasmine fancies actually knows she exists. At least he talks to her. At least he feels the same way...  

Even not knowing 'The Marauders' exceptionally well, I thought it was obvious Sirius was head over heels for her... But perhaps I'm wrong.   

After that dreadful incident, I kept my head down and tried to avoid any encounters with Slytherin students. Luckily, the group hadn't realized who I was, just the blue of my robes so nobody found out it had been me that crossed them on the platform. At the Start of Term Feast I tried to keep my concentration but whenever I looked up, I found that my eyes would start to scan the Slytherin bench, looking for Scabiour. 'What's the use?' I told myself but I couldn't help it. I caught Jasmine watching me occasionally; out of the corner of my I saw the look of concern on her face but after a few minutes she turned away and I shook myself mentally.   

Get yourself together!  

I finally made it up to the Common Room and was coerced into going to Gryffindor Tower because there had been word that a game of 'Truth or Dare' was to take place. I was reluctant at first but in the end Jas' persistence won out and we stumbled back to bed in the early hours of the next morning.   

After that, school began; lesson's started up; homework was set and teacher's became annoyed about the slightest hint of not paying attention. Every class we stepped into, we were immediately told, once again, the importance of the sixth year and how, to get good grades, we needed to study hard.   

Most of the lessons were fine, up until the last Defence Against the Dark Arts of the week. I was sat near the back, idly staring out of the window, willing the familiar speech about NEWTS to finish and the lesson to start, when a handful of Bertie Botts hit the back of my head. I turned in my seat and glowered at Scabiour who's hands was still in the air and his lips were pressed together, obviously trying to contain his laughter. I raised my eyebrows in a questioning look and he shook his head, gesturing to the beans and then to someone over my shoulder. I shook my head and glared at him angrily before turning back around. I sat for a moment wondering whether I should let him get off with just an angry look.   

I decided not.   

Ripping a piece of paper from the corner of my jotter, I scribbled a quick note, scrunched up the paper and threw it to him. He caught it, a surprised look crossing his features before he began reading. I saw his lips move as he took in the words.   

'So Scabiour, thought chucking a handful of sweets at your friend was a good idea? You thought wrong! How immature are you?

Oh by the way, you have really terrible aim!

xX'  

I turned back around before he could look up and laughed to myself. He had it coming!   

Eventually the class began and we all stood spread around the classroom in pairs, trying to master the art of Non-Verbal spells. So far... Well so far nothing had happened. After a good ten minutes of silence, people began giving up and just whispered the incantation. I, on the other hand, was determined to get the spell and by the looks of things so was my partner. He was a skinny Ravenclaw boy who I had seen around plenty of times but his name always slipped my mind. Anyway, every few seconds he would brandish his wand fiercely at me and I would just stand there, waiting for something to happen.  

As time began to run out so did my patience and just as I was about to admit defeat, I felt myself falling to the floor. I felt my head hit the wooden floorboards but I couldn't move a muscle. Looking up at the ceiling, I saw my partner loom into view and he hastily undid the spell. He reached a hand down and pulled me up, a big smile stretching across his face.  

"Well done!" I congratulated him.   

"I...I did it!" He muttered more to himself than to me,"Come on let's try it again!"  

We retook our places and once again, after a few minutes I found myself on the floor. As pleased as I was for him, I was a little disappointed that I hadn't managed to achieve the skill yet. I made him stop stunning me and pointed my wand at him, but just as I got my mind set to curse him, I fell.   

As my partner helped me up, this time he had a look of confusion on his face.   

"What did you do that for?" I snapped at him,"You knew it was my turn!"  

"It..it wasn't..." He wavered under my angry glare,"It wasn't me! I was talking to Boot!"  

The look of anger on my face changed to confusion as well and I scanned the room. Everybody seemed engrossed in what they were doing but then my eyes caught the back of Scabiour's head and I mentally cursed him.   

Storming up to the Professor's desk I said,"Professor, Scabiour is being an... An absolute troll! He's stunned me three times now and he's not even my partner!"    

"Yes Miss...Vain," The professor said, glancing up from a long piece of parchment that I was having trouble reading upside down,"Well isn't that nice, he seems to have mastered the skill before anyone else, give him my congratulations won't you, now off you hop!"      

My eyes widened and I stalked away. Why did all the professors seem so preoccupied at the moment? They were not taking any notice in anything except a bit of parchment they all seem to gave acquired.     

As intrigued as I was by the teacher's strange behaviour, I didn't let my mind dwell on it for at that moment the bell went and I hurried for the door. Just as the class spilled onto the spiral staircase I heard Scabiour whisper in my ear, "Who's got bad aim now?"    

Argh I could kill him!!!! Why does he have to be so incredibly annoying but at the same time so likeable? If the rest of the year is anything like the first week back I'm not sure I'm going to survive...    

Yours sincerely     

L. Vain