Jasmine

September 1st 

It's good to be back at last. Six weeks off of school is far too long I think; especially when it's Hogwarts. I've missed sitting in the alcove by my blue silk-covered bed, looking out of the enormous window down on the grounds. I can see the Giant Squid in the Black Lake tonight - he's sat right under the surface of the water, a shadowy tentacled figure. The stars are coming out now and it's getting dark. I love how high up my dormitory is - like I'm at the top of the world; I could reach up and take a star out of the sky if I wanted to. 

My hand is aching now - not used to writing again I suppose. I've already written to Mum, telling her I got here safely. And another for Dad. I'll let Inca take it tomorrow, though she won't be back for ages again; I hate sending her all the way over to Australia to drop letters off for Dad. Perhaps I'll leave it until I've been at school a while longer and have more to tell him; at least then the journey would be worth it. Or I might borrow a school owl instead.

Gem and I had a great time on the train today, sitting and gossiping. I was telling her about my holiday to visit Dad in Australia, and about his work with the animals. He's a muggle you see, so no magic, but he's amazing at his work. He's not just a vet, he works at a zoo with all these cool creatures like Zebras and Crocodiles. Gem was quite jealous of my tan too! Anyway, we mostly talked about the Blacks.

Sirius Black is gorgeous. He has this beautiful hair that's a little wavy and very dark, that stops just at his chin. I always get distracted in class watching him flick it out of his eyes. Which are gorgeous too, just so you know. He and his brother Regulus both play Quidditch for opposing teams - Sirius being a Gryffindor and Regulus a Slytherin. They don't get on too well, I don't think his family liked him being anything other than Silver and Green, but the Gryffindor house colours look sexier on him than the Slytherins would anyway. Though Gem would disagree, being a Snake herself. Best friends liking the Black brothers, trust us to manage that. At least we haven't both gone for the same one. 

Gem and I have been inseparable since we were three or four when my parents moved back to the UK. I'm technically Australian - my Dad's an Aussie, my Mum English. So I met Gemini Jones on my first day of nursery when I stole the dressing up tiara right out of her hands. That was before Mum and Dad split up.   

Mum owns a modelling business; at the time it was just cosmetics, but it was really popular. Dad longed to go back to Australia, he missed it there. He wanted to go, Mum wanted to stay: they both decided they'd be happier apart and where they wanted to be than together somewhere they disliked. They're still friends, which is great, and I get to visit Dad in the holidays. He came over for Christmas last year too.   

And back here, Mum's cosmetic business did so well she expanded to fashion and modelling. I occasionally do photoshoots for her; and despite being a Ravenclaw and having the brains to do something else, I'd love to be a model. If not then I'll follow after Dad and do something vetenry-based, but with magical creatures instead. 

That reminds me, I've got Care of Magical Creatures tomorrow I think. Sixth Year is certainly going to be interesting, better get some sleep now really. 

Sweet dreams x Jas