Chapter Twenty-Six

7th October 2016, London, United kingdom.

I wander back and forth in the meeting room and give after a big sigh. How bad can it be? I hear how Mads drums his fingers against the huge glass table in the middle of the room. I turn around and look at him.

- "But the interrogation with Mr. Lander shows once again that his actions were malicious. Doesn't anyone understand that he acted with full awareness while he made his wife suffer." I say and I see how Mads gives me a distressed look. In the last three weeks we have received paralegals to this case. The paralegals are two young men who seem to be younger than me, but honestly they aren't. One of them is brunette and is called Frank and he has always the tendency to get on the nerves of Mads.  Mads belongs to the category of senior lawyers who want respect, yes except from me possibly. The other younger man is David and has red hair and always wears nice costumes that make me wonder if he as a paralegal has his own personal shopper or something. Because that paralegal can dress. Both David and Frank are looking at Mads, worrying whether he will break down or not. This case is difficult in that way because we have to prove that the wife of this horrible guy has mentally and physical abused her for over ten years.

- "That's why we lawyers has to see it with other glasses. He received a written statement from the doctor about his possible addiction." says Mads and sit firmly with his elbows on the glass table. I throw my hands in the air of pure frustration. Fuck.

-"But he hasn't touched alcohol or drugs according to the wife's testimony!" says Frank and I see how the irritation grows within Mads. He gives after a huge sigh and shakes his head only.

- "Take a lunch break, we need new ideas." Mads says with a very annoying voice and waving his hand that the poor paralegals to walk away. Both David and Frank take their paper and walks out. David looks at me and I give him a smile, I actually feel sorry for him . He's perfect as a paralegal, but he's too shy especially in front of me and Mads. They close the door after they walk out and I lean towards the glass table. "I'll get stuck with these idiots now when you go to maternity leave!" he continues and I give after a laugh at him. He is ridiculous, if he just tried to be nice to them. He rises up from his chair and then he looks at me.

- "It's seven weeks left until the baby gets here, I really don't think you'll get rid of me just yet." I say and he shakes his head immediately. Nicholas is anything but happy that I chose to continue working for as long as I can during my pregnancy. There have been a lot of discussions and even Sam called me and had a lecture about it all. I work in an office all day so it can't be that hard on me except for just in this moment. I got pain in my back, legs and yes you name it. I'll probably try to go down for hours but in three weeks, our trial begins. We need to get justice for this woman and her case there for I won't be missing the trial. Mads has said several times that he can take it and therefore he fixed these paralegals to us. I'm stubborn as always about it, I won't leave until we win that trial. 

- "I really wonder what your husband thinks about this, if I know him well he can't be completely satisfied with this." Mads says and I'm just trying to deny that it's some truth in his words. All of a sudden it begins to knock on the door. It's my assistant Alex who walks in. He has a dark tight suit and looks without being unfaithful towards my husband, very good.

- "Mrs.Garnett, your husband is waiting for you." says Alex and it's like my life comes back. Fuck, I forgot. We are supposed to celebrate his birthday now, or first search for a stroller to our baby.  

- "I'll be right there!" I say and starts packing my paper into my bag and seeing the little silver package in it. It's Nicholas birthday today and if he got to decided we wouldn't do anything. Mr. Garnett is lucky to have a wife who is full of surprises.