Walk

We opted to just walk a couple blocks in town, given the hour. The full moon accompanied by the streetlights made it easy to see. We walked slowly and in relative quiet, simply enjoying each other's company.

Yet, after a few minutes, I couldn't help but notice that the night had gotten much colder, and I wasn't exactly dressed for it. I looked down on my simple outfit - it was a light-pink, long-sleeved t-shirt dress with jeggings.

I had needed to wear flexible clothing today to teach the dance students their routines for the upcoming show. It would be Disney themed with dances for each of their major movies released since Snow White - the entire production would be four hours long and be performed over two weeks with eight showings. We needed to make it perfect.

As I was thinking about the show and my students, a cold wind blew and I couldn't suppress my shudder. I clung slightly closer to Mr. Gold and attempted to prevent my teeth from chattering. However, it seemed I couldn't conceal much from him.

Without a word, my walking-companion removed his outer coat and motioned for me to put it on. He seemed slightly concerned for my sake, yet gave a comforting grin. I was impressed by his chivalry, but didn't react due to my surprise.

"I suggest you wear this, dearie. You obviously didn't prepare for a midnight walk in forty degree weather."

Appreciatively, I stopped and he let me lace my arms through. The coat had been heated by his body and was now warming my own. I inhaled the scent permeating from it and enjoyed the sweet cologne. I looked back down and saw that his coat almost reached my knees - completely covering my dress, and utterly blocking out the bitter wind.

"Thank you again, Mr. Gold." His numerous kind actions led me to falling for him more and more, faster and faster. I felt as if I'd just jumped out of an airplane without a parachute - he was my only chance of making it unscathed.

"My pleasure," he replied and continued to lead us down the street. When we both drew tired, we agreed to head back to the car. He insisted on driving me home, and I gladly accepted his offer.

When we had arrived at the car, Mr. Gold held the door open for me. I obliged and put myself in the passenger's seat. As he walked to the driver's side, I looked at the clock - 2:35 am. Typically I'd be exhausted and panicked at my loss of sleep - but, instead, I felt a consistent, giddy energy. How our walk could have been so long when it only felt like moments, I didn't know. All I knew is that I treasured every second.

Mr. Gold seated himself gracefully and began to head towards my place. As he drove, I wondered if there would be a second date. Maybe I should invite him for Tuesday night's - tomorrow night's - Karaoke party? Mary Margaret and I went every week, but I couldn't imagine that he'd be interested.

As I considered the possibility of a second date, I fantasized about when it would be. I wondered what we would do. I questioned how I would dress. And I hoped he was wondering the same things.

"I do hope you enjoyed your evening, dearie." His eyes were fixated on the road and mine gazed to him.

"I couldn't have imagined a better one," I placed my hand on his arm, "you really saved my evening, Mr. Gold. With helping the children and myself - I know it may seem like nothing to you - but I really owe you one."

"[y/n], it really was nothing at all," his lips seemed to turn upwards, ever so slightly. "If you feel as though you owe me, perhaps you could accompany me to dinner again this or next week."

"I'm available on Wednesday after 7:00 pm," there would only be dance rehearsal that night and it would be done by 6:00, giving me enough time to get ready before meeting with Mr. Gold. "But I'll only agree if this is to be a second date."

He pretended to debate for a second before responding. "As you wish."

"You'll have to tell me what we're doing so I can dress properly - I wouldn't want to be caught underdressed as I was tonight," I hoped he would appreciate my little joke, and I took a pen and paper from my purse, "I'll leave you my number. Please call me tomorrow around noon and let me know the plan."

Just as I finished writing my number, we pulled in front of the apartments. I began to take off the coat, but he insisted I keep it since I had a small walk before I got inside. I thanked him, kissed his cheek and headed in.

Right after the door shut behind me, I realized I'd left the supplies in his car. I ran back outside, but - of course - he was already gone. I blamed the late night for forgetting and decided I'd call the Pawn Shop when it opened the next morning.

I opened my phone to check if I had the number saved, but instead of seeing a number - I saw an alarming notification.

Thirty-seven missed calls and twenty-eight voicemails from Mary Margaret. The last one being only two minutes ago and her message saying she was about to call the cops and report me as a missing person. She should be a mom, I thought to myself then hurried inside to reassure her that I was alive.