Chapter 20

We left Bret alone for the rest of the night, and the veins didn't get any worse.

"Ok, so, what can we do?"

"Ok, if we can get in touch with the real Bret, while the wolfsbain is wearing off, she should be able to come back. Also, no more rushing in there."

Leah looked at Jake when she said that. We sat down and brainstormed for a while, when Felix walked over to Leah.

"I have something."

"Ok."

Leah opened the cellar door and let Felix in. He walked in front of Bret, but kept his distance.

"What is it, leach?"

"Well, I'm talking to the real Bret, remember when Ella needed to talk to you and Alice? I walked in on you and Alice about to do, you know what, and no one let you live it down for 2 days."

I saw a flash of remembrance in Bret's eyes then it turned to anger, and she lunged off the wall and almost broke another chain.

"It isn't working."

"Yes it is, I saw something we just have to keep working at it."

"Ok, I think I have something."

"Ok, remember."

"No, getting close."

Jake then walked in and stood away from Bret.

"You again."

"Ya, but again, speaking to the real Bret. Remember that time you and Alice were laying in the yard and me and Leah were on the porch. You and Alice started kissing then me and Leah jumped up and yelled 'NO PDA!' at you?"

Bret let out a small chuckle before shaking her head and lunging at Jake, breaking the other chain.

"It almost worked."

"Leah, I would close the door, now!"

We looked and saw Bret charging at the door. Leah slammed it shut and Bret ran into it, breaking one of the hinges. It felt like my whole body got crushed and I fell to the ground, along with Bret.

"ALICE!"

Everyone ran over to me and pulled down my shirt. The veins were about to my ear now, down a quarter of my arm, and to my chest.

"We should stop for today."

"Ya."

*Time skip*

I woke up in the middle of the night and looked over and saw Leah sitting at the door, looking in at Bret. I walked over and sat beside her.

"Hey."

"Hi."

"Anything new?"

"No."

Leah then launched onto me and started crying.

"I want her back Alice! She's all I have."

I hugged Leah, and stroked her hair.

"I know, but you have me and my family, even though it's not the same."

"A-Alice? L-Leah?"

We launched up and looked at Bret. She was till sleeping, but clawing at the ground. I then saw one of her eye lids lift a bit and saw some green.

"I'm still here."

She then closed her eyes and rolled over. I then felt a sharp pain down my body and fell backwards. Leah came over and pulled my shirt down. The veins went about and inch each direction.

*Time skip*

I woke up and saw everyone else was already awake, including Bret.

"Sorry, we didn't want to disturb you."

"No, it's fine."

I then looked at Bret and saw the same hatred as before, then I remembered last night.

"Ok, Vickie have anything?"

"Yep."

Vickie had to stand at the door, because we didn't want Bret hurting anyone.

"Hey, Bret. Remember the time you first came over, I walked in on you and Alice. You were on top of her and she pretty much threw you off of her, you were so embarrassed, you couldn't even look up. That was the moment everyone fell in love with you, we all know Alice did."

Everyone laughed a little, even Bret. The she muttered something, we couldn't hear, and turned into a wolf and charged at the door. Breaking it off it's hinges, everyone had to hold the door back.

"Let me out, LEACHES! I'll give you a memory to remember in the after life!"

Bret then fell backwards and turned back, I then fell too. Everyone let the door drop and ran over to me. The veins were now 75% down my arm, to my eye, and to my stomach. I saw Leah's expression change and she stood up.

"Leah, what are you doing?" 

"I'm going to bring Bret back, now, or die trying."

"That's crazy, and what about last night?"

"Alice! If those veins spread much farther...both of you will die. I have to do this."

Leah then walked into the cage and Bret stood up and looked at her.

"Hello, leach lover."

"You're one too. Just look at your shoulder."

Bret's expression became furious and she ran at Leah.

"She'll never forgive herself if she hurts her."

I stood up and ran in front of Leah.

"ALICE!"

Bret raised her hand and grew her claws out. She struck down with them, but I didn't feel anything. I looked down and saw Bret on her hands and knees, with blood on her hand. She then looked up and had one green eye and one brown eye.

"I'm here."