Chapter 19

"Kill her."

Bret immediately lunged at me, and I was too shocked to move. She was about to close her jaws down on my neck, when she flipped her head down and slammed straight into my chest. The rest of the wolves ran at my family and Leah. 

"Bret, Bret, calm down."

She circled around me and lunged again, this time she bit my arm a little but pulled her head away. I was trying to back up more when I felt the edge of the cliff we were on, Bret then lunged at me again. She knocked all the air out of me and sent me over the edge, luckily it wasn't that far down. The alpha then walked up beside her.

"Let's go."

Bret looked back down at me before turning around. My family then ran tot he edge and jumped down to me.

"Are you ok?"

"Y-ya, just a little bruised."

We walked back home in silence. We got inside and I tapped Leah on the shoulder.

"Do you know what happened?"

"If I'm guessing right, the alpha used wolfsbane."

"What is that?"

"It's a plant that wolves can use to pretty much brainwash another wolf. That's why Bret flipped out on you, because he told her too."

"How do we get her back?"

"The wolfsbane will ware off, but we need to get her away from the pack, so they don't use anymore on her."

"Then how do we do that?"

"Here's the plan..."

I was walking through the woods, towards the packs camp.

"Please, don't kill me." I begged in my head as I saw Bret.

She sniffed the air and looked in my direction. She stood up and I walked into the open, she ran at me and pinned me down. Bret went to bite my head, but I put my hands in her mouth and felt her teeth go into them.

I saw Leah run into the clearing at full speed and knock Bret off of me. They started fighting and Leah got on Bret's back, forcing her to change into a human. Bret spun around to hit Leah, but she was faster and ducked, Leah came up behind Bret. She put her in a choke hold and kicked her knees out from under her.

Bret started to howl when Leah grabbed her chin and yanked it sideways, I heard her neck snap and Bret went limp.

"Forgive me. Ok, we need to go, now. She won't be out for long."

Jake grabbed Bret and we started following Leah.

"Ok, not much farther."

Leah then veered to the left and Jake almost slipped trying to follow her.

"Ok, we're here."

We were standing in front of a staircase that went underground. We followed Leah down into a cellar.

"Ok, we have to chain her up."

Leah and Jake chained Bret up, close to the wall, and we let her heal.

*Time skip*

"Let me out of here!"

"No, not until you come back."

"Is it ok if I talk to her?"

"Yes, just don't get to close."

"Ok."

I walked into the cell and made sure to stay away from Bret.

"Bret?"

"What do you want, Leach?!"

It felt like I got shot, Bret never called anyone that.

"Can the real Bret hear me?"

"This is the real Bret! My eyes have been opened to how much I should've hated you!"

It felt like I was being killed on the inside, but I had to try.

"Bret, I love you and I want you back."

"Well, I don't love you, I've always hated you! I don't know why I mated you! Let me out of here so I can kill you, you LEACH!"

I then felt a pain, like I was getting my arm cut off. I grabbed my shoulder and stumbled backwards, Bret did the same. Vickie pulled me out of the cell and closed it.

"What happened?"

"I-I don't know, it just feels like my arm is getting torn off."

Leah then ran over and pulled my shirt off my shoulder and looked at my mark.

"Crap."

Everyone then looked at it, it was red and the same veins as before were coming off of it, but worse.

"What's going on, Leah?"

Leah looked at me then Bret.

"Spit it out!"

"They're dying! They're both dying!"

Leah then fell to the floor and held her head to her knees. Jake looked like he was fuming, and threw the door open and pinned Bret to the wall.

"Listen here Bret! Snap out of it! You're killing Alice!"

"Why should I care?! Let her die! She's just a stupid leach! Like you!"

Jake then ripped Bret's shirt off her shoulder.

"You're dying too!"

"Then let me!"

"You ,at have a death wish but Alice doesn't!"

Jake pulled back his fist and I saw Bret put her foot on the wall.

"JAKE! Get out of there!"

Bret then pushed off and broke one of the chains, she then cut Jakes chest. I ran into the cage and helped Jake back, I then looked at Bret. The same pain shot through my arm, but also my chest this time. And Bret fell to the ground too.

I saw the veins spreading down my arm and chest and up my neck. They were also on Bret.

"How do we stop this?"

"Bret has to come back."

"Well, how long is that going to take? After they're dead?!"

"I have no clue, but if you keep messing with her, then ya, probably!"

Leah then ran outside. I followed her.

"Leah?"

"Alice, I'm so sorry. This shouldn't have happened, and I don't know how to deal with it."

"It's fine, I know Bret. She's a fighter, and I know she can win this battle, just as easy as any other."

"You're right. Let's go get her back."