Chapter 4

I waited outside with my siblings, not even paying attention to them. I was too busy looking for Bret.

"YOOHOO! Earth to Alice." Jake mocked as he waved a hand in my face.

I snapped my attention back to my siblings.

"What has you all spaced out?" Vickie asked.

"Bret." Felix joked, I scowled at him for reading my mind.

"Oh, thinking about how dreamy her eyes are?" Vickie cooed.

I had to admit they were dreamy. Felix you better not have heard that.

"No, she's not here. She normally is."

My siblings looked around and realized she wasn't anywhere to be seen.

"You're right, I wonder where she is." Vickie said, tilting her head in thought.

"Maybe she's just late today?" Jake offered with a shrug, "She did say she had to go home to get some stuff."

He was right, but she had left hours ago. I tried to think of all the possible reasons she wouldn't be her by now, but I couldn't find any. Bret isn't one to be late or not go to school, her own words.

"Maybe she'll be in first period?" Vickie asked.

"Just keep an eye out, and we will too." Felix told the group, mostly looking at me.

We all nodded and got up once the bell rang.

All of first period I didn't pay attention. I was to busy looking out the window and at the door for Bret. I even let my hearing wonder and focus on any slight noise, hoping it was her being clumsy somewhere.

*Time skip*

Fourth period was a few minutes from ending, and then I could go to lunch and see if Bret was back, I swallowed hard, or not.

"I don't even know why I'm having so much anxiety over her, I don't even really like her." I mentally told myself, then something popped into my head, "maybe she's growing on me," I shook my head to make the thought go away.

The bell finally rang, and I met Jake in the hall so we could walk to lunch together.

"Did you guys see her at all?" I asked, dreading what the answer would be.

All my siblings shook their heads and I felt my heart drop.

"Maybe she's just sick?" Felix offered.

"No, she was fine last night, how could she get too sick to even come to school?" I argued, feeling my anxiety raise. 

"True, could it have been moms cooking?" Vickie asked.

"No, if it was bad she wouldn't have eaten so much."

We mostly sat in silence after that. About half way through lunch, Jake kicked me under the table. I glared at him and he nodded his head towards something. I spun around and saw Bret walking into the lunch room looking worse for wear.

Her hair was messy, she was walking a little crooked, and she was in a jacket. She never wore jackets, only t-shirts and flannels with the sleeves rolled up. She said jackets made her too hot and they felt stuffy.

"Bret, OH MY GOD! Where have you been?!" I jumped up and practically yelled at her.

"Oh, ya. Since I was at your house, I didn't get home until really late, so I slept through my alarms. I had to rush out of the house to get here." She explained, running a hand through her hair.