You Are My Sunshine

"No, no, Kevin, no, don't do this, not now," Aleks fell to his knees next to Kevin on the ground and pulled him up.

Kevin gave him a weak smile, attempting to reach up to wrap his arms around Aleks. He didn't have enough strength to lift them. He knew he didn't have much time left, the wound in his stomach bleeding freely with nothing to stop it. 

"The ambulance will be here soon, don't worry, just hang on till then, please, Kevin, I can't --" Aleks's voice broke and he started crying. "I can't lose you, I just can't."

Clouds above them began to roll in, the sky turning a dark grey. 

"Come on, Aleks," Kevin mumbled. "If I'm going to die --"

"Don't say that!"

"At least let me see you smile one more time." 

"I can't, I can't Kevin, I can't smile, not when you're like this," Aleks said, tears flowing freely down his face as he spoke. 

"For me, Aleks."

Aleks tried a smile, but it was weak and tearful and strained. He couldn't hold it for more than two seconds. His eyes never left Kevin's face, wanting to memorise his features as best he could. He knew what was coming, but he didn't want it to be true. 

"You are my sunshine," Kevin sung, his voice quiet and as strained as Aleks's smile. "My only sunshine. You make me happy, when --" Kevin coughed. "When skies are grey. You'll never know, dear, how much I love you..." Kevin's voice grew quieter still.  "I ... love... you..." 

Kevin fell still.

Aleks didn't let go, he couldn't. He pulled Kevin closer still and mumbled, "Please don't take my sunshine away."

He knelt there, holding Kevin close to him for an undetermined amount of time. 

"The other night, dear, as I lay sleeping," Aleks began singing, hoping against hope that this was a sick, twisted, terrible nightmare. "I dreamed I held you in my arms. When I awoke dear, I was mistaken, and I hung my head and cried. Kevin... No..." Aleks broke down, sobbing as he held tightly to his lost love. 

"Please don't take my sunshine away..."

-------

i am the worst person in the world hahah ah a h ha