it's another coffeeshop au, so shoot me

wow hey. what the fuck happened to this website? what the hell. 2014 was a simpler time. anyway, hey, what's up. i found some shit i wrote that hasn't been put up here so GUESS WHAT BITCH.

i'm sure you've all seen that thing that's like, a picture of a sign outside a café that says uh. well, i won't spoil it. but if you haven't, idk, google it. hey. don't expect much more.

---

Aleks had grown to love the late shift.

Okay, so that was a complete lie, as he hated it with a buring passion. Seriously, why the fuck would a shitty little coffeeshop like this one need a late shift? Hardly anyone noticed it during the day, so why would anyone stop by at midnight? It was a wonder this place hadn't gone bankrupt, Aleks thought miserably as he stared into the empty cafe.

In order to entertain himself, Aleks had taken to erasing the chalkboard sign outside every night and writing in its place something decidedly obscene. Every night it was different, and every night he erased it before he went home, leaving it for the morning crew to deal with. There were no regulars at this time, (or at any time) and since no one was around to notice the sign, he could more or less write anything he wanted to with no repercussions.

As it happened, today was also an "Oh my god I really need to get laid soon" kind of day, so this night's sign took on the words:

"Today your barista is:

1. hella fucking gay
2. desperately single
For your drink today I recommend: you give me your number"

He snickered to himself for a bit before going back inside to sit behind the counter on his phone until his shift ended. Much to his surprise, just as he got comfortable, he heard the telltale sound of the bell above the door. He looked up to see a guy around his age walk in, heading straight for the counter.

Putting his phone back in his pocket dejectedly, Aleks watched the guy subtly glance around. Upon realising that they were the only two in the coffeeshop, a smirk made its way on to his face.

"Nice sign outside," the stranger said, sounding decidedly smug.

"Alright, listen," Aleks started before remembering his professionalism. "I mean, uh, hello sir, what can I get you today?"

"Your number."

"I don't even know your name," Aleks pointed out, staring at the stranger across the counter, deadpan.

The man looked momentarily surprised that he'd forgotten to introduce himself.

"Well, uh," he paused to glance at the nametag on Aleks's vest. "Aleks, my name's Kevin, can I have your number?"

"Are you usually this smooth with everyone or..?" Aleks asked sarcastically.

"Listen, okay, it's late --"

"You're telling me," Aleks interrupted quietly.

"-- and I wasn't exactly prepared to be flirting when I came in here."

"Bullshit, you totally came in because you saw the sign outside."

Kevin faltered, trying not to smile. "Okay, well, MAYBE that's true, I'm not saying it is but MAYBE. But anyway, even if it was, your number would still be nice."

"I'm flattered, really. Are you ordering a drink or not?"

"I might as well. Get me. Uh. Uh." Kevin stopped, looking up at the menu with something like confusion. "What the fuck does any of that mean? 'Mean Marshmallow Malt'? 'Juicy Jive'? This is terrifying. What's in these things?"

"Marshmallows and juice, in that order," Aleks supplied. He knew what he was talking about, clearly.

Kevin gave him a look as if to suggest he really wasn't helping.

"Okay. Well, can you give me whatever is least terrifying then?" Kevin asked finally.

"A small water sound good?" Aleks asked, eyebrow raised. "I've never met someone who used the word 'terrifying' to describe a menu before."

"This is nothing," Kevin said immediately, charming tone of voice returning in a split second. "There's this restaurant on the other side of town and it's..." Kevin trailed off, a look of something like disgust on his face. "The food is excellent though, wait till you see it."

"Implying I'll be seeing it any time soon," Aleks pointed out.

"Well," Kevin began. "If you wanted, I could --"

"Sorry, I can't flirt on the job," Aleks interrupted, handing a plastic cup over to Kevin, full of water.

"Right. Sorry. I should have known," Kevin said, sounding disappointed.

"Don't worry about it."

Aleks watched as Kevin turned away and bit back a smile. Kevin walked out of the coffeeshop sipping the water and only when the door shut behind him did he notice the sharpie scrawl on the cup. He turned around and looked back at Aleks through the window, grinning.

Aleks, who had definitely not been looking right at Kevin the whole time and only made eye contact with him now through coincidence and nothing more, grinned back.