o21 | stubborn

day 21 ➜ to someone I judged by their first impression

day 21 to someone I judged by their first impression

Dear Micheal,

I'm addressing this to you because you're the first person I can think of that I judged in a bad light when I first met. If you ever read this, Lord knows you probably won't. I'm in prison and wouldn't know where to send it honestly.

The first thing I have to write before I start is I'm sorry. It seems like I'm always apologising, huh? Oh well, but it's a start.

When I first met you, it was at Aldertree.

And I think you can guess why I judged you, it's who you were with.

"Oi, mate, don't go that way. The weirdo sits there!" Jack shouted at you, and you instantly ran back to Jack and his mates.

I remember sighing, and looking down at my lap, my hands locked together tightly. I was trying so hard to not to cry. Not in front of them, but I was weak. I was young and the tears fell.

"Is he crying?" Jack asked his mates.

I was. Another potential friend was taken and another endless amount of time of being unhappy had begun.

"I think he is," someone had responded and I covered my eyes with my knitted sleeves, trying to dry them.

"Come let's mess with him again, its fun right?" Jack asked and I'd heard laughs and their reebok strapped trainers approaching like a plastic stampede.

Until... you Micheal.

"No, leave him alone!" You'd shouted and they'd looked at in a dumbfounded silence before laughing.

"Oh God, here's another weirdo!"

I looked at your back, your arms were out, protecting me.

In that moment I was so ashamed of myself for judging you wrongly, but I was glad I was wrong and misjudged you because you became my friend that day.

Well until a couple months later where you were fostered and I never saw you again.

I missed you and I was glad I met you.

I remember that time you asked me why I was still at Aldertree and I'd said two words, "my Dad."

"Your Dad?" You asked.

"He's coming back for me," I said with a smile. My hand came up to the back of my head and scratched, "he's a bit busy right now, but he'll take me back one day."

"Harry..." You'd said and I knew what you were trying to say, but I wasn't having any of it. I was so stubborn, wasn't I Micheal?

"He's coming. I believe in him. I have to. He's my D-A-D."

Well, Micheal what can I say? I don't when you'll read this or if it'll ever reach you at all?

But I always imagined you'd be working somewhere in the city. I feel like you'd hate living in the countryside, it's not big enough for you.

I hope the best for you, buddy.

All the love, Harry.

// author's note //

unedited.