Ch. 4

*Austin's POV*

It had been a month since I had seen Dallas. I couldn't stop thinking about her.

I stood with Emily. We had just finished an interview. She was smoking a cigarette and playing on her phone.

"Em? How's Dallas?" I asked.

She shrugged. "She's out of the hospital."

I frowned. "She was in the hospital?"

Emily looked at me. "Yeah. Alan didn't tell you?"

I shook my head. "What happened?"

She put her cigarette out on the bottom of her shoe. "Damen beat the shit out of her. Alan went over there to pick her up and she was passed out on her bed." She shook her head. "He beat her so bad." I watched her eyes fill with tears. "He raped her."

I felt rage inside me. How dare he hurt her. "Are they still together?"

Emily rolled her eyes. "Unfortunately. She's too afraid to leave him." She looked at me. "You like her, don't you?"

"Why isn't he in jail?" I asked, ignoring her question.

"He is. But Dallas is waiting for him." She said, walking to her car. "She's gonna be with him."

"Is she at work?" I asked.

She nodded. I went to my car and got in. I wanted to see Dallas. No, I needed to see her. I don't know what I was gonna say, but I had to see her.

Once I reached her work I sat in my car. From the large front window, I could see her sitting at her desk. She was going through papers, her hair tucked behind her ear. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

----

*Dallas's POV*

I sat alone in the shop going through all my paperwork. We had no appointments today but hopefully I'd get some walk-ins.

The bell jingled and I looked up. Austin walked in. My heart raced. He was so handsome.

"Can I help you?" I said.

He walked over to my desk. "Just wanted to come see you." He leaned against my desk and took a piece of candy. His eyes roamed over me.

Heat flooded my cheeks. "Why?"

"Haven't seen you in awhile." He said, shrugging. He reached over and brushed his fingers along the bruise on my cheek. "Emily told me what happened."

I hoped he couldn't feel how hot my cheeks were. His touch was like fire. It was amazing, electrifying, beautiful. I stared into his eyes. I could see myself getting lost in them.

"Dallas?" He said.

I cleared my throat and stood up, backing away from the desk and bumped into the counter behind me. He smiled. "Are you okay?"

I nodded and tried to catch my breath. "Yeah."

He looked at me, his eyes traveling over my body. "I'm worried about you, Dally."

I shook my head. "Don't be."

He stepped around the desk. "He's hurting you. Hospitalizing you, Dallas. That's not okay."

When his hand reached for me I stepped away. I was afraid of how I was feeling. I wanted him to touch me. I wanted to touch him. Those kind of thoughts weren't safe. "Austin. You barely know me."

"That doesn't mean I can't care about you." He said. He leaned against the counter.

I looked at him. "Yes it does."

He shook his head. "What are you afraid of? Him? I can help you, Dallas."

I pushed him away from desk. "Yes. I'm afraid of him. And that's why I need you to go." I pushed him towards the door. "Please. If you care about me, go."

He held his hand up and stopped me from pushing him. "I'll leave. But I'll be back. I wanna protect you." He kissed the top of my head. "I left my number at your house. Call me later." He walked out the door.

I stood there. He was so handsome and sweet. And when he touched me, my body felt light, free. I've never felt like that. It scared the hell out of me.