Ch. 6

*Austin's POV*

I sat with Dallas. She laid in her bed. She was still unconscious, but her breathing was normal. Emily came in with a glass of water and sat on the bed.

"You okay?" She asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. I just wish she'd wake up."

She nodded. "The police said Damen won't be out for awhile. She's safe." She patted my leg.

I looked at Dallas. "What is it about her?"

Emily pulled the blankets up over her. "What do you mean?"

I pulled Dallas's hair out of her face. "I can't get her out of my head. She's beautiful. And smart, and just perfect." I looked at Emily. She was smiling. "What?"

"You love her." Emily said, grinning.

"Love? No." I looked at Dallas. "Adore? Wanna be with? Worship? Yes." I smiled. "She's made such a big impact on my life, on my soul, and I barely know her."

Dallas made a small sound and snuggled closer to me. Emily smiled. "Get to know her. She's amazing." She patted my back. "I'm gonna go get some food." She walked out.

I stroked Dallas's hair until I fell asleep.

---

Dallas woke with a start. She pulled away from me so fast she almost fell off the other side of the bed.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

I wiped the sleep from my eyes. "Keeping an eye on you."

She frowned. "Why?"

I frowned too. "Do you remember what happened?"

Her eyes searched mine, then it clicked. "Oh.." She whispered. She reached up and touched the bump on the back of her head. "I remember..."

I stood up. "I'm sorry if I startled you. I'll leave."

"Wait!" She yelled, reached for me. She thought for a moment and then pulled away. She looked down and pulled the blanket around her shoulders. "Please don't leave." She whispered.

I sat back down. "I won't."

Her eyes filled with tears. "I'm afraid."

I reached for her and she crawled into my lap, curling up like a child. I rubbed her back. "You're aloud to be afraid, Dallas. He hurt you."

She shook her head. "I'm not afraid of him." She sat up and looked at me. "I'm afraid of myself."