Ch. 21

*Dallas's POV*

*later that night*

I walked into my apartment and threw my keys on the counter. I sighed and rubbed my eyes.

"What am I gonna do?" I groaned.

My phone buzzed and I looked at the screen.

Austin; "We still on for tonight?"

Me; "Come over"

I set my phone down and walked to my bedroom, pulling off my clothes and pulling on shorts and a hoodie. My stomach was in twists. The fact that I have to break up with Austin was killing me.

I sat down on my bed and sighed. I loved Austin. I didn't wanna live without him.

---

There was a knock on the door and Austin walked in. I stood in the kitchen drinking a glass of wine.

"Hello, pretty lady." He said, smiling and kissing me

"Hey." I said, my words coming out a whisper.

He cupped my face. "Are you okay?" His eyes searched mine.

I nodded and stepped away from him, not wanting to see the worry in his face. "I just need to talk to you."

He leaned against the counter and crossed his arms. "What's wrong?"

I poured myself another glass of wine and poured one for Austin. "Can we go sit down?" I handed him his glass.

He frowned. "No. Tell me what's going on."

My hands shook and I felt sick. I couldn't look at him. My eyes fixed on a crack in the tile. "I can't do this." I whispered.

"Do what, Dallas? You're worrying me a lot." Austin said.

I squeezed my eyes shut. "Austin, I have to end this." I said.

He shifted his weight. "End us?"

I nodded, looking up at him. My eyes filled tears. "I'm sorry." I whispered.

He looked down at his wine glass, his eyes filled with tears. "Did I do something wrong?"

I set my glass down and took his glass and stepped towards him, wrapping my arms around him. "Austin, no. Please don't think this is because of you. This is me."

He wrapped his arms around me, holding me tight. "Please don't do this, Dally."

Hot tears ran down my face. "I have to."

He squeezed me tighter and shook his head. "No. Dallas. We can fix whatever is wrong." He pulled away and looked at me, his hands on my hips. "Dallas. Please." His big brown eyes were sad and tears stained his cheeks.

I wiped his tears and cupped his face with my hands. "I'm sorry. I'm trying to keep you safe. This is killing me, but I have to do to this."

He shook his head, resting his hands on top of mine. "If this is killing you then don't do this, baby. We can forget this and go get dinner and things will be perfect."

I shook my head and pulled away. "I can't, Austin, I'm sorry." A sob caught in my throat and I covered my mouth.

Austin wiped his eyes. "Dallas we can get through anything. We've proved that before." He reached for me and I stepped away.

"I'm so sorry that I have to do this to you." I said. I ran my fingers through my hair. "Please don't hate me."

"I would never hate you, Dallas." He said. He stepped towards me. "Can I have a hug?"

I nodded and practically threw myself into his arms. My body shook with sobs and he held me. He stroked my hair and kissed my head.

"Dallas, please don't do this." He whispered.

I pulled away. "I'm sorry, Austin." I crossed my arms and stepped back. "I'm sorry."

He nodded and walked towards the door. He looked at me before he left, his eyes blurry with tears. Then, he walked out.

When the door clicked closed, a sob broke out. I sank to the floor, trying to stifle my scream. I wanted to run after him and fix this. But I knew Damen would hurt people.