Chapter 16 - Wait there are two?

Chapter 16 - Wait there are two? ©

Surprisingly, the rest of the week went smoothly, Caden seemed to blend right in even though he blurted out some strange things sometimes. Everyone seemed to forgive him anything which always made me roll my eyes, ‘cause honestly if I said that they all would’ve laughed at me.

At least until Friday rolled around, when I awoke with an overpowering anxiety clutching at my chest. As usual I struggled to make it out of bed, at least until I felt a warm set of lips touch my forehead. I wriggled as those lips then touched my own lightly, gently almost teasingly and eliciting a moan from me.

“Charlotte you need to wake up.” His husky voice whispered in my ear.

“Nope don’t want to.” I muttered stubbornly.

“It is the last school day of the week so you may sleep in tomorrow, in my bed if you want to. You must arise now though.” He cajoled and I finally felt that his argument had merit so I pushed myself into a sitting position.

“Alright, I’m getting up.” I told him grouchily while he just grinned at me, already in his uniform looking almost too delicious for words “Why are you always here so early?”

“That is easily explained, you are here so that is why I get here early. That way I can always utilise my day with you better.” He explained which made me smile and left me feeling all fuzzy.

He surprised me by picking me up in his arms and carrying me into the shower. He had the water thundering before leaving me to get ready. He was the one reason I got up every day now, just so I could spend my time with him.

By the time I was dressed he had made not only me but also Izzie breakfast. Gawd he was just so sweet sometimes. I gave him a hug and sat down at the table. This was almost becoming a ritual nowadays.

But like normal there was always something that messed up my day. As usual that something was Christine Walker. No matter how much Caden and I tried to avoid her, she always seemed to appear. She would put me down in what seemed like a positive comment and then walk away with a spring in her step.

This morning it started on the bus. Okay yes I know I’m not the most stable person on moving objects and yes it was the second time that week I tripped while getting into the bus. Honestly though, why did she always find it necessary to taunt me about it.

The worst thing was that she managed to snatch Caden away from me when I was regaining my footing. I fumed at the pair of them, Caden being too bloody polite to tell her to get lost and her due to the fact she had her nasty paws all over him.

So I was stuck, seething while sitting next to Izzie who was trying to calm me down. Flashes of jealousy went through me every time she laughed that idiotic laugh or touched him with those fake plastic nails. My teeth were grinding by the time we arrived at school.

As he walked by me to get off the bus I snatched his hand and stopped him dead. Everyone grumbled at me but I stood between him and Christine who looked a mite put out as she stormed off the bus.