Chapter 4 - In need of rescue: one prince and one would be hero

Chapter 4 - In need of rescue: One prince and one would be hero ©

Two days later I was sitting at the base of the tower, cursing quietly to myself. I was officially stuck in the land of the bloody fairies with no magic to help me. But I couldn't leave until I figured a way to get Caden out of this damn rock solid tower. I had even considered scaling it with my bare hands at my most desperate moment.

Today I decided to wander around the base to see if it could yield anything. It was already lunchtime with the relentless sun beating down on me and I hadn't even made it halfway around yet. Disgruntled I sat down against the wall and tried to consider any other alternative.

"Charlotte, are you well?" Caden called from far above me.

"Yeah I'm fine. I think I've got a bit to go yet." I laughed sarcastically at my own ineptitude.

"I really am sorry." He told me again for the hundredth time which made me roll my eyes.

"My Dads going to kill me." I muttered as I flopped against the insurmountable tower.

A crumbling noise disturbed me and I quickly pushed myself away from the wall. Where I had been sitting some rocks had tumbled away. As I looked closer, I was surprised to see what looked like an archway that had been filled in at some point. A tiny glimmer of hope burst in me as I quickly excavated some more rocks.

"Okay don't get your hopes up but I may have found something." I yelled up to Caden.

"Like what?" He asked excitedly as I accidentally pulled out the mother of all rocks.

"Just um....crap!" I screamed as a whole pile of rocks fell on me. I coughed in the dust as I pushed rubble out of my way. Well that was a brilliant plan!

"Charlotte?" I heard Caden calling out frantically.

"Yeah don't worry, I'm fine." I said croakily.

I blinked in the dust surrounding me and gaped. The rocks had been covering up a beautiful polished hidden spiral staircase that hugged the sides of the tower. Caden was still calling out to me, getting increasingly panicked.

"Chill out Caden, I'm fine. I've found something peculiar so just give me a minute." I told him

I loved exploring and these stairs had me itching to climb them. Of course I was hoping they would lead to Caden but that was the mystery to be solved. I quickly grabbed my backpack from where I had dropped it and began walking up the stairs.

They seemed surprisingly dust free and clean, while the walls where all smooth and covered with motifs that I just had to stop to look at. Images of the blonde haired, blue eyed Goddess featured in all of them.

She was giving blessings to her followers or showing her wrath in some wild weather or standing smiling down at her world. The higher I walked the more of her story was revealed and I was thoroughly enjoying it, except for the occasional spider web.