Chapter 2 - A stranger in the mirror

Chapter 2 - A stranger in the mirror ©

Only two days into being at the Gate and my boredom was sky high. It's not that I don't like Mary or Roger but they are over a hundred which are about one thousand earth years and they don't quite understand what I like or enjoy at all.

I had promised Mary that I would spend the day cleaning up the attic area where the Gate was. I just had to get away from their constant 'in my day' lectures, they could be so frustrating. Nobody was scheduled to arrive from Argonia today so I should be left alone. Ah peace at last.

I was busy going through an interesting box of old trinkets when I first heard it. My heart leapt with anxiety thinking it might be a Scavenger. That was what we called people who tried to go through the Gate without permission. It was rare that someone would try it but it did happen.

I rushed over to where the emergency button was hidden. Then I carefully peeked around to check the mirror and see if anyone was trying to come through. I almost hit the button in my shock of what I saw but I quickly managed to snatch my hand away before it connected.

There was an image on the mirror which was normally blank but silvery grey coloured. Today it showed a grand but terribly high tower surrounded by steep, jagged cliffs. At the foot of the tower, tall grass grew profusely in a stunning meadow where wildflowers grew with abandon. But the most spectacular sight was the tall waterfall that thundered down behind the tower leading to a creek that bordered the meadow.

I stepped closer to the Gate in absolute astonishment, trying to figure out where the image was coming from. A deep but beautiful voice suddenly vented its rage and the picture changed almost instantaneously. I gasped in surprise, he had to be the most gorgeous guy I had ever seen, and he was even hotter than on the cover of that magazine up in my room.

His honey blonde hair flopped onto his face and he swished it back irritably in the most endearing gesture. His emerald green eyes were piercing but I felt I could get lost in them. He was so tall and lithe that I knew he would tower over me. He was perfection and I just stayed in my hiding place and stared at him in wonder.

"I'm going to kill you Markus." He shouted as he paced across the floor and for the first time I had to wonder why he didn't just blink and zap himself out of there.

"Why don't you use your magic?" I asked aloud then quickly slapped my hand over my mouth with a squeak and stepped out of view of the Gate.

"Who said that?" He demanded and I could see him searching for where the voice had come from "Show yourself this instant." He insisted and I felt compelled to come out of my hiding place.

"Hi." I managed to say so timidly that I almost didn't hear it.

"Where are you?" He called out to me, as his eyes scanned the room.

"Um....I'm not sure." I said unsteadily as his eyes caught mine briefly before he turned away again.

I seriously thought I was going to faint. He may have been scowling up a storm but those eyes were so glorious. I think I finally understood the saying that you can get lost in someone's eyes. My heart started racing while my mind turned to absolute gibberish.

"How can you not be sure?" He asked me in amazement as his search continued.

"Just turn around and tell me what you see." I told him.

"Well let’s see now." He turned to face me again and I tried to avoid those mesmerising eyes. "There seem to be a lot of objects that are covered with some rather filthy blankets."

"Then uncover them and see if I'm in there somewhere." I said getting a bit annoyed at his stupidity while wondering why I could see him clearly but he couldn't see me at all.