Chapter 11 - City Dramas

Chapter 11 – City Dramas ©

I was relieved when the palace finally came into sight. My body was grumbling at me rather fiercely but to find we were actually flying in the right direction made my day. I cheered out loud and Caden looked over to me with a happy smile. We swooped down and I was pleasantly surprised that nobody even noticed us.

At least until we landed in the middle of the busy courtyard inside the palace walls. Okay, so maybe we didn’t think this through properly. As soon as we landed people were surrounding us, a lot of them with swords aimed directly at us.

I quickly threw up a barrier around us as they started screaming and shouting in panic at us, which was startling the horses. I glanced quickly at Caden who looked worried that nobody at all recognized him.

“What exactly do we do now?” He asked me quietly, his eyes pleading with me to come up with something.

I strained my brain as more people gathered around us, right before I resorted to my most idiotic idea ever. I muted all the screeching voices in the courtyard, until they looked toward the only noise left which were my clicking fingers.

“My name is Charlie and I am the next Ambassador, with me I present Prince Caden, who has been missing these last few years.” I told them, amplifying my voice to reach everyone.

Unfortunately they all looked at me in disbelief, which only seemed to enrage them more. With a sigh I gave them back their voices and turned to Caden with a shrug, I was out of ideas. We endured the ruckus for a while as I got down off Lissa and rubbed behind her wings to try and calm her down.

The sudden silence was the only thing to catch my attention. I turned to see everyone with their backs to us and I watched my confusion clearing as I saw an entourage heading towards us. I quickly dropped the barrier as Lilly, Markus and a group of others hurried towards us. All the previous dubious people were dropping to their knees.

“Caden my son and Charlie my girl.” Lilly called out joyfully before engulfing us both in a huge hug “How I have missed you my boy, and it is such a pleasure to see you again Charlie.”

“Hello Mother, perhaps you should let us be free, especially in front of such a large crowd.” Caden said wryly and I laughed hearing my tone in his voice.

“Well fine then.” She huffed letting us go reluctantly but still smiling broadly at us “I would like to hear an explanation for these magnificent creatures though. I gather you rode them here? At least that seems to be the general consensus from the crowd.” She gestured behind her.

“Yes, Charlotte saved the life of one of them, now they seem to feel indebted to us.” He explained and Lilly turned to me, her eyebrow raised.

“Did he just call you Charlotte without you arguing, attacking or yelling at him?” She asked in amused astonishment and I rolled my eyes.

“Yes okay just let it go.” I said tiredly while she just grinned wildly at me. I was getting so tired of hearing about it.