Chapter 12 - Dinner, Dancing and Life Bond Truths

Chapter 12 – Dinner, Dancing and life bond truths ©

Well normally I hated picking out dresses but today it was awesome fun. Who would have thought Caden would choose the perfect dress with no fluffiness in sight. He winked at me as he left to get ready himself and promised me he would wear something to match with me.

I hated formal dinners with a passion. It was usually a bunch of men who wouldn’t listen to a word you say or tables of women tittering about dresses. But tonight would be different; I could feel it in the nervous energy that ran through me.

I met Caden at the top of the huge staircase that overlooked the fancy dining room and felt my breath stop. He looked absolutely drop dead gorgeous in his black suit with a subtle yellow vest that matched my dress perfectly.

He offered me his arm which I gratefully accepted and we walked down together. Every eye was on us when our names were announced and I could already see the ugly glares from the women as they watched us enter.

Lilly smiled broadly at us while she sat us in the seats of honour which were next to her and the King. I never had much to do with the King over the years but he had always treated me kindly. Right this minute he was smiling broadly at us as we walked amongst the hundred or so other guests seated at the long table.

“Please don’t let me trip.” I murmured almost advising myself.

“I would never let you fall my Charlotte.” Caden leaned over to whisper in my ear and I smiled up at him.

I groaned quietly thinking again of how much I hated these formal affairs. The choice of which fork or spoon to use was enough to always stress me out. But with Caden by my side I felt so very much calmer.

He teased me all through the meal about my ineptitude but in such a way that I never felt embarrassed. I then taunted him about all the girls staring wide eyed at him which he grimaced at. We laughed our way through the meal and I had never enjoyed myself more.

Finally we made it to the dessert course which was my favourite. Caden shook with laughter when I chose two desserts while everyone else took one, but that’s what they get for dishing out more than one awesome treat. Tell me who else would choose between chocolate mousse and apple crumble? If there’s anyone out there that can than good for you, but it sure as hell isn’t me.

Then the unfortunate part of the evening, otherwise known as the entertainment turned up. If I had known they had made up a song about me saving Caden, I definitely would have stayed in my room. Instead I sat there in complete humiliation as the words wafted over me. I tried to sink lower into my chair but it never stopped everyone from staring intently at me.

“Whose idea was this?” I whispered to Caden furiously while he just grinned.

“Father’s” He whispered back cheekily. Well that sucked I couldn’t say anything against it then could I?

Before long the King pronounced that Caden would tell them the story of his rescue. I had to suck back a despairing groan as all eyes turned on us. All I could think was thank the Goddess I was slathered in makeup so nobody could possibly see how mortified I was.