Chapter 13 - Hot kisses and farewells

Chapter 13 – Hot kisses and farewells ©

I was so tired of being woken up by someone hammering on the door, so with a groan I rolled over and tried to ignore it. Caden held me tighter as I heard the spell to open the door being used. Crap that meant either Dad or Ben was coming in. I struggled into a sitting position as I pushed my hair out of my eyes.

“Charlie are you still sleeping?” Dad sounded a bit exasperated as he walked closer to our room.

“Just give me a minute Dad.” I mumbled but by that time he had walked right in, his eyebrows rising sardonically as he noticed Caden next to me.

“Do you want an explanation?” I asked my Dad who nodded firmly “Well then so do I.” I told him abruptly and he looked at me strangely.

“About what?”

“No let me explain why Caden is here first. Last night like nearly every night since I met Caden I awoke screaming. I found him at my door in complete distress and Lilly explained why. It’s a true life bond thing so she suggested Caden stay here rather than wake up the whole palace. My question to you is did you ever experience that with Mum?” I asked waiting keenly for his answer but he just sighed.

“Somebody told you.” His whispered words swept over me.

“The King told me.” I said and he winced “He didn’t want the two of us to suffer like you have.”

“Charlie will you just let me explain please.” He pleaded with me and I sat up in bed to face him as did a curious Caden.

“Yes I’m all ears.” I told him resolutely.

“Your Mother, she was my true life bond. She got pregnant long before we wanted to have kids, long before we were even prepared to get our life bond.” He explained emotionlessly.

“Wait! So the Mum I know is not my true Mum?” I asked in shock and he shook his head “So who is my true mother than?”

“Her name is Jillian Bide. She wanted me to give up being Ambassador so we could be together but once I saw your power I knew you would be incredibly important in our world. So she moved on and now works as one of the Queen’s Guard.” He said it so simply but so sadly as well that my heart went out to him. I got out of bed to give him a hug while at the same time I looked at his wrist.

“So you never had a life bond with anyone?” I asked in amazement “You’ve spent all that time alone?”

“No I never life bonded but I have always had Magdalene, who by the way is my greatest friend. She agreed to fill in as your Mum because Jillian….Well truthfully Jillian hates you.” I gasped at his words. I didn’t even know this woman and yet she hated me.

“Why?” I finally managed to stutter as I felt Caden come and hug me soothingly from behind, which was good due to my knees trembling at just the thought of someone feeling that way towards me.