Chapter 5 - One too many surprises

Chapter 5 – One too many surprises ©

I opened my eyes blearily wondering why I was overheating. My eyes adjusted to the semi light that signalled the beginnings of dawn as I attempted to roll over. I froze when a masculine groan filled the air around me. Why in bloody hell is there a guy in my bed?

Taking a deep breath I tried to sit up and rubbed my eyes fiercely. I looked around as an arm tightened against me and everything from the last couple of days came pouring through my mind. Caden, I was trapped in the tower in the land of the Fairies with Prince Caden.

Wait! Caden slept on the lounge last night, he had insisted that I take the huge bed. How had he ended up in bed with me then? Not that it wasn’t enjoyable; in fact it was downright delectable.

His arm was wrapped tightly around my waist with his fingers splayed wide across my stomach. One of his legs were slung across both of mine, keeping me trapped in his cocoon of warmth, while his breath caused goose bumps to rise across my throat as it wafted over my skin.

“Caden?” I called out croakily, but no response except a grunt.

I forcibly rolled myself over to face him and he grumbled but pulled me closer when I stopped moving. I couldn’t help but stare as I watched him sleeping. He was so unbelievably gorgeous that he almost took my breath away.

His face was softened in sleep and as much as I wanted to snatch my hand away, I couldn’t stop myself from touching him. I ran my fingers across the pleasant stubble on his chin then on to caress his cheek and gently swipe my finger across his sexy dimple. I touched his soft warm lips and was so focused on them that I never noticed his eyes opening, watching my fascination silently.

“Charlotte?” Oh lord, the husky timbre of his voice sent shivers running up and down my spine.

I snapped from my daze when I noticed he was staring deeply at me. I quickly pushed away from his embrace and felt rather destitute as his warmth was replaced with cold air. I sat and watched him as he stretched languidly and I tried to stop my heart from pounding its way out of my chest with how breath taking he looked.

“How did you end up over here?” I asked him quietly and he looked puzzled for a moment until realization dawned.

“You were having a nightmare so I came over to check on you. You then insisted that I stay with you, so I did.” He said simply as he pushed himself upright in the bed and rumpled his hair endearingly.

“Um okay, I don’t remember any of that.” I frowned at him and tried to smooth out my obviously crazy morning hair while he smiled devastatingly at me.

I was so floored by that smile that I quickly tried to stumble out of bed. Falling on my backside was so not part of the plan but my leg got caught in the sheets and I let out a yelp as I fell onto the floor. A deep red blush stained my face as Caden scurried over to make sure I was okay.

“Are you well?” He asked in concern, though I could see the hint of laughter lurking behind his eyes.