14: Logging On

"I hate to ask you this, but could you drive me to the compound?" V asked sheepishly.

"Oh... Fine I guess. If you're so insistent on going, I might as well get you there safely."

As you drove him silently towards the old church/cult that you once worked on, you marveled at how it had changed.

As you pulled up as close as you dared, parked the car and looked at V.

"Can you even make it there? How are your eyes?"

"They're... maybe slightly better. But they should get better quickly. I won't do anything until I'm sure of my plan. I've been in contact with the girl who got kidnapped. It seems she may be too far gone, but my conscious won't let me abandon hope that I can get her out."

"What if she... is?" You asked carefully.

"I... don't want to think about it."

"What about Rika? She's still going to be there, you know. Are you going to do something about her?"

"Not if I can help it. I just want to extract the girl and come home. I'm not ready to face Rika. I'm really not."

"I think you should prepare for the possibility. How will I know if something happens to you?"

"I'll send someone. But really, that's the worst case scenario. Don't think about it. I'll be fine. I'll come home."

V leaned over in his seat and pressed his lips against yours.

"I'll be back. I promise."

And with that, V left your car.

As you drove back to your house, you decided that you'd have to find a way to distract yourself while you waited for V to come back safely. You had a few projects on your plate when it came to work, so finding something to do wouldn't be that hard, but keeping your mind off of the dangers would be where you ran into problems.

As you opened your phone you noticed a Profile Incomplete notification.

Mystic Messenger? What's this? You thought to yourself as you clicked the app. Jihyun must have downloaded this. Perhaps he will keep in touch on this! You were hopeful.

As you logged into a chatroom, you noticed all of the names that you had heard of in conversations with V.

Jumin, Zen, 707, Yoosung, Jaehee... they're all here. Maybe he wanted me to get to know them...

In fact, that was exactly what V wanted. If he was going to take you seriously, you would need to meet his friends. And if he was going to die, he wanted you to be able to share your memories of him with other people who knew him.

"Well... it's worth a shot. I guess I should say hello." You mumbled as you through the profile V must have set up. A photo of your and V's feet together in bed was your profile picture. Anonymous enough for your safety, but still cute and personal. Approving of this, you then looked at your name. It wasn't YN, as you had expected, instead it was Muse. You giggled, knowing this was a joke on V's part as well. He always considered you his muse and it was an easy way to refer to you and your relationship with him secretly.

Muse has logged on.