Chapter Thirteen

(Still Monday)

Harry stood protectively over Niall out the front of the school waiting for Louis or Liam to arrive. ‘Niall I’m sorry.’

Niall shook his head still trembling. Harry sat down next to him. Niall squirmed further away from Harry on the seat.

‘This is all my fault.’ Harry continued  ‘I’m so sorry for doing this to you.’

Niall searched Harry’s face for a minute before leaning his head on Harry’s shoulder and letting Harry put his arm around his shoulders. Louis and Liam came sprinting out of the school’s front doors.

‘What happened?’ Louis asked.

‘I thought I told you to stay away from him.’ Liam growled.

‘It’s ok Liam.’ Niall said quietly.

‘No it’s not. That bully on the basketball team had a go at him.’ Harry snarled making Niall shiver.

‘Which one? Jacobs?’ Louis asked.

‘He’ll regret it!’ Liam hissed.

‘Pretty sure he already does.’ Niall said more calmly then before ‘Harry gave him a good beating.’ Harry’s heart twisted when he saw the way Niall was looking at him. The adoration on his face was clear to all three of the boys.

‘Someone should take him home.’ Harry stated disengaging himself from the blond ‘I’ll stay and go to the office and tell them what happened.’

‘I’ll take him.’ Louis replied ‘Liam you could lose your spot as captain if you just randomly skip out on school.’

‘I don’t care. Jacobs is going to have detention for a month.’ Liam hissed.

‘Take him home.’ Harry said to Louis before looking down at Niall ‘I’m sorry Niall.’

Niall looked up at Harry with still admiration clear on his face. ‘Thank you Harry.’

Harry nodded and went with Liam towards the schools front office.

____________________________________________________

(Wednesday 26th September)

Thomas Jacobs got expelled after a couple of the younger students came forward to verify Harry’s story. Harry also got a detention for hitting another student but Harry didn’t care much. Niall didn’t come back to school that week. He didn’t come back until a week later when Harry and Zayn joined Niall’s security team. Niall never went anywhere without one of them. Niall didn’t talk to Harry except when he had too but every now and then one of the boys would catch him staring at Harry with a look on his face that made Harry’s breathing hitch.

On Wednesdays afternoon Niall had to take the bus home because everyone was busy. Harry decided to go with him and walk home from Niall’s house rather than let him take the bus on his own.

‘You don’t have to come with me.’ Niall said as Harry sat down next to him on the bus.

‘Don’t you remember what happened last time we left you alone?’ Harry asked not looking at Niall.

‘Not much can happen on a bus.’ Niall replied.

‘Yeah well, I’d prefer to be safe rather than sorry.’ Harry replied darkly.

‘Thank you Harry.’ Niall said quietly.

At that moment Niall knew exacly why he liked this boy so much.