Monkey Bars

As a spastic little girl, I loved to run and play on any equipment I could spot, and today, the monkey bars were the perfect choice. I climbed up the short ladder and gripped the first rusty old bar. I couldn't swing from on bar to the next, I could only do them one hand at a time. I went slowly on them, I didn't want to fall. I began swinging my body so I could grab the next bar, but only to kick someone behind me by accident.

"Oops! Sorry!" I turned my head awkwardly against my arm to see the meanest kid in my class glaring at me.

"Watch it!" he spat. "I fell!"

"I said I was sorry!" I squeaked, preparing myself to move on. I daringly let go of the bar and grabbed the next. Now that my ego was raised I let go with my other hand. I reached for the next bar, but felt something hard hit my face. It surprised me and I dangle with one arm from the bars.

"Hey! Stop it!" the bully threw another rock at me, hitting my head. He laughed and ran underneath me, grabbing my shoe. I quickly pulled myself up and held onto a bar as he yanked off my pink flip flop.

"Stop! Give it back!" I shrieked. He grabbed my other one and took off with them across the playground. Angry, I let go to chase after him, but landed bare-footed on the brownish-red bark pieces. I felt the small chips stab into my feet and I cried out in pain. A boy ran to my side and tried to look at my foot.

"Go away!" I yelled at him, but I bit my tongue to see that it wasn't the bully, but a cute boy.

"You're hurt! I wanna know what's wrong!" he picked up my ankle and examined the bottom of my foot. A tear escaped my eye.

"Is it broken?" I asked, unaware that it was such a stupid question.

"Nope! You're gonna be ok!" he set my foot back down and smiled at me. "What's your name?"

"I'm (y/n)." his eyes seemed to sparkle at the sound of my name.

"I'm Hunter."