Chapter 23

Months had passed by quickly: Halloween passed by in a blur(I was Belle), Thanksgiving was a jumble of pumpkin pie smell and turkey, and Christmas was good food and loud family. Next stop, New Year's! I am not excited.

Ever since homecoming, Tris has been trying to get me to talk to Connor. All the boys have been texting me, actually, but I only ever respond to Tris. Whenever they're here recording, I don't drive out to see them. My heart keeps telling me that keeping my distance is wrong, but I'm afraid I'll mess up again. I just can't go through with it.

The girls, Dylan and I have all been working on a big party for New Year's. Usually we can't because someone's family is out of town over winter break, but this year we were lucky enough to convince all our parents to stay this year. So we get the big party we all wanted.

We rented out this big condo with plenty of space for people and a large enough TV for everyone to see the countdown. We all spend the afternoon putting up streamers and signs and decorations in gold and silver. As it draws closer for everyone to start coming we put out plates of food and plenty of drinks. I change into skinny jeans, a black lace peplum top, and black heels. I sweep my hair back into a ponytail and go greet the first guests. Soon the condo is filled to bursting.

"Hey Liv!"

"Yeah Lo?"

"Did you remember to put on the countdown?"

"Shit!" I knew I had forgotten something. I quickly tune into it on the TV, music blasting from the speakers. "Got it!" Lauren laughs.

"Good thing you figured it out, huh?" I thwack her arm, sending her into another fit of laughter.

"Shut up," I say, chuckling. Alli screams as Taylor Swift starts playing and drags Dylan to the center of the room to dance with him. Within seconds everyone is paired up and dancing, including Kat and Lauren, who were both approached by cute guys. I lean against the wall, grinning.

"Someone sure looks happy," a voice says beside me, and I whirl towards it.

"James!" I squeal, leaning in to hug him.

He laughs. "Hey sugarplum." James squishes me in a hug.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"Surprised?" I raise an eyebrow at him and he laughs. "I flew over myself, I thought it'd be nice to spend New Year's with American friends."

I snort. "It's not much different than parties in England, Jem."

"Okay, okay, you caught me." He grins and throws his hands up in surrender. "I wanted an excuse to come see my bestest friend."

"Oi! What am I then?" Another boy whacks James upside the head. He chuckles and rubs the back of his head.

"Jeez Tris, abuse a guy like that and you can't expect to keep best friend title." James grins.

"Hey Trissy." I give the taller boy a hug. "Let me guess, here to see what an American party is like?" Tris' eyes widen.

"How'd you know?" he exclaims. I laugh and point to James. "Thanks for giving me away, mate."

"Isn't that my excuse?" someone else says. "And why is Kat dancing with another guy?"

"Cause you weren't here Brad, and he asked her. If you care so much, go cut in." I shove the brunet towards Kat. Tris and James wander off, and I lean against the wall again. Just one left... I feel a warm presence next to me. "Connor," I breathe.

"Yeah," he murmurs. "It's me." He pauses, unsure. "You never answered any of my calls or responded to my messages."

"I've just been really busy," I lie. "It's my last year in high school, I've been swamped with college stuff, okay?"