Chapter 5

Brad's POV

All the dancers are up on the stage. I pick out Liv and point her out to the boys. I couldn't pick her out during her dances, but the girls did tell us what dances she was in. I loved them, personally. The girls did a line dance up on the stage, and Liv's face lit up every time I could see it, huge grins and laughter. They start calling out awards.

"And now to the overall awards," the man onstage says. He counts down from ten, and when he gets to five, I see Liv lean over to her group and say something. They all hold hands.

"And number two is..." A song plays and Liv and her friends squeal and run up, accepting the trophy.

"Number one is..." A drumroll sounds. Another song plays, and Liv's group screams. They accept another trophy, and the awards end. I look over and see the guys as excited as I am. Which I have to say, isn't as much as Liv would want. By a lot. Liv hops off the stage, a huge grin on her face. I elbow the guys and they plaster smiles on their faces.

"Oh my God that was so much fun!" Liv exclaims, running up. Kat and Alli hug her, then she turns to us.

"That was so cool, Liv," I say.

"Really?"

"Yeah. It was really fun," Tristan says. I can hear James yawn slightly, and turn to see Connor stifling a yawn as well. I turn back, and Liv's face falls.

"No, you didn't," she accuses.

"We did, we really did," insists Connor.

"It's just that we stayed up all night," says James. Liv shuts her eyes and takes a deep breath. Alli grasps her shoulder. Liv exhales and clenches her jaws.

"You were the ones who wanted to stay up," she spits out. "I never said anything either way."

"I know, but we really wanted to watch," says Tris.

"And you fell asleep!" Liv accuses. "Kat told me. She saw everything." We stay silent, and Liv just shakes her head. "I can't believe this! I have supported you all for months, encouraging you and making jokes when I saw you had a bad day. I spent hours of my time watching videos, telling all my friends about you. I even choreographed a dance to one of your songs to show the dance world, because that's how dancers find music. And you couldn't even stay awake for three hours to support me for this one thing! I can't believe you guys!" I open my mouth and take a breath, but Liv interrupts. "No. I don't want to hear it. Call me when you've decided if you can stand my boring life. Goodbye, your majesties." I can hear the sarcasm in her voice, then the screen goes dark.

"Well, that failed," I say.

Liv's POV

"I can't believe them!" I sob. "I thought we were friends!"

"We all did," said Kat, rubbing my back as I sat on the floor, unsure if I have makeup smeared all over my face. I don't really care.

"But don't forget that you don't really know them," says Alli, the voice of reason when I can't be. "You talk to them, sure, but that's only two days. You never really spend time with them."

"I know that, but still!" I stand up, wiping my eyes. "I'm going to bed." I collapse on Alli's couch, and will myself to fall asleep.

James' POV

"It was true, what Liv said. We did choose to stay up," I say.

"Yeah, but she exploded. What were we supposed to do?" says Connor.

It wrenches my heart to see Liv so upset. I never wanted to hurt her. She is a friend, after all. We all sit in silence, the mood of the area progressively getting darker. I'm just about to text Liv when my phone rings. I look at the screen and see it's Liv. I quickly respond.

"Hi Liv," I say, and the boys' faces light up. They crowd around.

"What the hell, man?" says Kat. "You ruined her night! You can't see it, but she fell to pieces! She was in tears the entire time she was packing, and the whole drive to Alli's house! And you're idiots if you can't see what I see. She loves dance, and she only lets close friends and people she trusts see her world! She trusted you, and she showed you her world, and you screwed up because you make the stupid mistake of saying you wanted to see something then fell the fuck asleep! Is there something in your tiny-ass brain that prevents you from seeing that?"

"I'm sorry, okay?" I say. "We never meant to! We really wanted to see her world, because it's filled with awesome stuff and some pretty cool people too! So I'm sorry if we messed up!"

"Ooohhhh you're sorry. You think you're sorry now. Just wait." She turns the phone, and I can see Liv, stretched out on a couch, one arm thrown over her head. Kat steps closer, and I can see dark shadows under her eyes, smeared makeup, and hair falling out of her ponytail. She moans and turns on her side.

"What happened?" I ask.

"Take a wild guess," Kat retorts.

"Wow," I breathe.

"No shit, Sherlock. Get your act together. You'll have one hell of a time gaining her trust back. So, uh, have fun with that. And next time, just go to bed. Because then you can stay awake for the important stuff." The screen goes dark.

Connor sits down. "Ugh."

"Come on." Tristan stands up. "Let's go up to our room."

We all stand, our mood dark, and trudge inside. We pile into the elevator, then fall into bed when we get to our room. I contemplate sending Liv a text, but I figure that she wouldn't want to hear from me. I turn out the light. I can hear the boys tossing and turning.

It's a while before I finally fall asleep.