Chapter 18

Dedicated to @TheVampsHeart and @sholenne for being fantastic and being in touch with their emotions. Two awesome chickadees, and I would've made you all suffer emotional trauma longer if it weren't for these two, so send a huge thanks their way! And now...

"CONNOR!" I scream. "HERE, NOW!" Pounding footsteps signify his hurried arrival.

"I'll just..." the girl says.

"Oh no no, you're staying here." I grab the chick's arm and pull her back.

"What's... oh," Connor says.

"Explain." I gestured between the two of them. "This harami says she's your girlfriend."

"Oh I didn't know..." the girl starts.

"You shut up. I want to hear what Connor says."

"Liz is my ex. She came back from Africa and we went out for coffee. This morning." Connor looks at the floor.

"Is that where you were?" I ask. "You will look at me when I speak to you." Connor looks up and I am fully aware of the fury blazing in my eyes. "Were you?"

"Yes."

"And why did you call yourself his girlfriend?" I turn my wrath to Liz.

"I-I wasn't sure if there were girls showing up here because they were fans, and I wanted to make sure that whoever answered the door knew I'm a friend of Connor's. I didn't know that he's with you now. He never brought it up." Liz fiddled with the ends of her scarf.

"I've had enough of you. Out." I open the door and practically shove Liz out. I slam it behind her and whirl on Connor. "You didn't trust me enough to tell me? What the hell?"

"I didn't want you to overreact," Connor says. "I thought that what you didn't know wouldn't hurt you."

"It's not the issue of you getting coffee with an ex! The issue is that you didn't tell me! If I had known the reason why you were gone when I woke up, with no idea of where you might have gone or what crazy shit you might've gotten into, then we wouldn't be here right now!"

"Is it suddenly a crime to let my girlfriend sleep in?"

"No! The crime is not trusting me!" I stand eye to eye with Connor, willing myself not to melt at his ocean-colored eyes. I steel my eyes in retaliation. "A relationship is built on trust. If you don't trust me, then what is this?"

"How do I know that you trust me?"

"I'm still here, that's how."

Hurt flashes across his eyes. "What does that mean?"

"It means that through all the tear-jerking shit we've been through, I've stood by your side whether I wanted to or not."

"When did you not want to?"

"May. I still believed in you after the May incident."

"Oh yeah? I stood beside you in June. You needed my help, or have you forgotten?"

"How could I? So tell me. What is this?"

"I don't know anymore."

"Neither do I. Not anymore." I clench my jaw and head upstairs. I throw my purse over my shoulder and trudge back to the hotel, not caring I'm alone in a foreign city.

James' POV

"Can you tell what's going on?" I ask.

"As far as I can tell, there's some chick at the door named Liz and Liv is getting pissed about it," Kat says.

"That would be Connor's ex," Brad contributes.

"We kinda got that," Alli points out.

"Slammed door... Rising voices..." Kat says.

"Has the change happened yet?" Alli asks.

"Not... wait there it is."

"What change?" Tris asks.

"You'll hear it. Liv changes the way she speaks when she's angry." And I do hear it. One moment, Liv's voice is normal. Next, I hear a British accent, then Irish, then Scottish.

"How do we know when it's over?" I ask.

"It gets really quiet," Alli says. "She's coming! Be very still and quiet."

"Why?" Brad asks. Kat clamps her hand over his mouth.

"Liv's a beast when she's angry. She takes it out on anything that moves. So don't say a word," Kat whispers. Sure enough, we freeze as Liv brushes past, not noticing us. "That was close."

"Too close," Alli says. Connor plops on a couch, thinking hard. "Connor?" Alli puts a hand on his shoulder. He doesn't move. We crowd around him, trying different tactics to get him to respond. Finally he does.

"Hmm?"

"What happened in there, mate?" Tris says softly.

"I-I think we broke up."

"What?" Kat shoots straight up.

"But you were so perf together!" Alli says.

"Liv, you better hope I can't get to the hotel tonight, cause shit's going down if I do. What the hell, man? Why? Figure this out, kay?" Kat slams her phone on the couch. I shoot her a look that says that Connor is the one to worry about here, and thankfully she gets the message. We try movies, games, mindless chatter, all sorts of things to distract him. Soon it's late.

"We should get back," Alli reasons. She and Kat grab their bags and leave. Connor stands and heads to the door too.

"Where you heading off to?" I ask.

"Just... Out." I raise an eyebrow. "I'll be back, promise." He leaves, and I stand in the doorway, watching him head down the street, hands shoved deep into his pockets, head low. The boys crowd around me.

"Where's he going?"

"....Out." I close the door.

Alli's POV

We make it back to the hotel, and I have to remind Kat to be quiet.

"Shhhh!" I hiss. I open the room door and turn a light on low. Kat flings her bag on the couch. "Hey, hey, hey, calm down. Let me inspect the situation first." Kat huffs, and I open the door to Liv's room. Her tear-stained eyes widen and shakes her head at me, mouthing "no." I shut the door. "She's asleep. Tomorrow, okay?" She nods and retreats to her room. I open Liv's door again. "You okay?"

"Peachy." I sit with her while she cries, until she finally calms down.

"Okay?" I ask again.

"Okay." We smile faintly at each other, and I retreat to my room.

Connor's POV

I unlock the door, very quietly. The boys rush at me.

"It's 6 am!" Brad scolds.

"Where were you?" James asks.

"I told you. Out." I drop my coat on a chair.

I can't tell them that I compared Liz and Liv. Hell, even their names are similar! I looked at pictures I had taken with them both, noticing how similar they look. Their personalities are similar, the way they talk, the way they dress, everything!

Then don't tell them, duh.

"All night?" Tris asks.

"I had some things to think through, okay? I'm back now, so I don't see what the big deal is." Brad sighs.

"Fine." He rakes a hand through his curls. "You okay?"

"Peachy." I smile.

Heehee look! More emotional turmoil! I put in a few references, if anyone picked up on them. Sorry this took so long to upload, I don't have a lot of time. Aren't I a lovely little author? Don't answer that... I'm sure most of you would have my head...

Comment #thebreakup if you made it this far! No need to trend it or anything, I just wanna see who reads until the bottom, lol.

Bai, my cookie monsters, my lovelies!