Ch. 28 Free

I waited patiently for Mrs. Robles to finish grading my math test. A fifty question test that could set me free, or hold me back. So far she had crossed out four.

I may not be super good at math but if there are fifty questions, each question was worth two points. If I had miss four questions that's eight points taken away from my one hundred percent score. That means so far I had a 92 percent on my test.

Woah, I might have burnt a brain cell there.

I watched till the end of her grading. She had marked two more wrong. That was six wrong answers. Shoot, what was my score? I started calculating in my head.

"88 percent." Mrs. Robles said. "You passed."

"Really?"

"Yeah. You graduate with Roosevelt High School. Congratulations!" She smiled.

"Oh my gosh! Thank you so much!"

I graduate with Clay! . . .And my friends.

"When you come back next week I'll tell you how everything will be done." She said. "Technically, you already graduated. I could give you your school diploma right now, but I imagine you want to walk down the aisle for your diploma."

I nodded. "That's my dream come true."

"I thought so. I will have your dad sign some papers when he cows for you okay."

I nodded. I left the room and went to the office. My dad should be here any minute now.

Home studies wasn't bad. They give you a packet of homework to do and you have a week to go back and turn it in. Then you stay for two hours so they can lecture you. Each packet is one credit. So of course I was happy I had finished.

My dad came in going to the fromt desk to sign me out. Mrs. Robles went up to my dad and explained that I had finished, and that he had to sign some papers. As soon as he was done we went to the car.

The car ride was silent. He had yet actually talk to me. I knew we were on our way to the hospital. I had chemotherapy, something I was dreading.

"Congratulations." My father said.

I looked at him and whispered a 'thank you'. I knew he was talking about passing high school.

His eyes glanced at me then back to the road. "I mean it, Amara. I'm glad you completed a dream of yours. You wanted to graduate and you did."

I wanted him to be proud. Why cant he say it? Was it that hard to say he was proud of me?

"I'm not done yet. I'm going to walk up to that stage with everyone else and receive my diploma."

"Of course you will." He said.

Just like I thought, he isn't going to say it. I resumed to look out the window. We were close to the hospital and I already felt like throwing up.

I don't need the chemotherapy. I don't want it. I don't want more medicine and worthless chemo. Let me die naturally.

I looked around the waiting room. Seeing many other girls and boys, women, just sitting waiting to be looked at, it gave me a sense of anxiety.

There was one week left before May. How time flies. I just feel drained. It was hard work trying to stay happy. Looking at everything in a positive way. The thing with that is no one sees how you actually feel. And you don't know how they feel either. Everyone just playing along.

How does Amelia feel? I don't know, I haven't asked her, and she's my friend.

How does Clay feel? I haven't actually asked him. What is he going to do when I'm gone? Will he love someone else? Will he love someone as much as he claims to love me? Will he forget about me?