Ch. 11 Missing Mom

"You're up early." Sam walked into the kitchen. I had been extra quiet this morning. I didn't want to wake her up, but she found me eating a bowl of cereal.

"I'm going over to Amelia's. Remember I told you about the video awards thing we're going to. I need a dress and she's letting me borrow one."

I might have lied in order to have permission to go. I told them all our friends were going. So let's just hope my father doesn't find out. I'm not to worried about Sam.

"I would let you borrow a dress but I'm bigger than you so..."

"That's fine, do you think you can drive me to her house?" I asked.

"Yeah, of course, let me just have breakfast."

I shrugged. "Take your time.... Talking about time, it's 10:15 a.m and my dad hasn't came home. Do you know if he's okay?"

"He called me around eight in the morning, he said there was a robbery at one of the stores downtown. He was going to have to stay a while." She frowned.

I got up and washed my bowl. I hated when my dad had to stay at work. It was bad enough that he had to work at night.

Seeing Coconut's bowl was empty, I poured her some cereal in there. She ran to the bowl as she heard the sound. I was surprised she even came to eat. All she does is sleep.

I frowned as I looked at her. She still looked weird. "Sam what did they tell you about Coconut yesterday?"

I had taken a bit longer at the hospital than I had estimated. Sam had to take her to the Vet.

"Uhh, she's okay. She's just growing and stuff."

"Sam." I looked at her.

"Okay... a couple of days after I moved here, I left the back door opened and Coconut got out. It was an accident. I couldn't find her and you didn't notice but I found her late that night and, your cat is pregnant..." She lower herself in the seat with each word she said.

"WHAT?" I growled. "She had never gone outside! Ugh, Sam, my father is going to be upset."

"He was upset, but I told him it was my fault and he understood. He is fine, we just have to make sure she stays healthy and watch out for whenever she's ready to give birth. It'll be easy."

"Easy! I can barley take care of myself!"

"I'm sorry."

"Sometimes I wonder how you can be so..." I looked for a word that wouldn't sound so mean. "Blonde."

"That's not nice."

"Better than saying stupid." I muttered.

"In my defense, I thought she was spayed. That's why I left her outside."

"I can't believe it, my poor baby."

"Okay... how about I go put on some shoes and I take you to your friend's house? Yeah? I'll be back." She said slowly walking away.

*

Amelia's house couldn't have been bigger. I had passed by this house so many times and I'd never thought anything of it. It was on sale when my dad and I had just moved here. Then I saw cars but I didn't care for who lived there, until now.

"Are you sure it's here?" Sam asked me.

"It's the address..."

The door opened and Amelia stepped out. She walked over to the car.

"I'll call you?" I looked at Sam.

"Yeah, I'll come pick you up." She said as I opened the door.