Ch. 14 Hacker

Get it done.

Get it done?

I can't get anything done! I'm so on edge that I can't focus. So distracted I have no idea what class I was in.

Officer Rowe told me to get it done. The bucket list. Get the bucket list done. I've been thinking of it all weekend. All day. Every day. His words play in my head, over and over again. Along with his sad face. A face that said he was broken.

'But why?' I would ask myself.

And only one thing came to mind.

Something I wouldn't accept. Amara wasn't sick. Those weren't her meds. She doesn't have cancer.

Or does she?

I will finally see her again today, after a long hurtful weekend. I don't know if I can actually look at her.

"Clay?"

I looked at my teacher, who just glared at me. "Yes?"

"Class is about to end and you have no notes written down. Do you need detention to finish writing them?" He asked.

"No, sir. I'll have them done." I said.

"I'll be checking your notebook tomorrow. "He said as the bell rang.

I sighed and looked at my partner. She smiled and closed her notebook.

"I'll email them to you right now." She said.

"Thanks, Ally."

"Whatever is bothering you, needs to be fixed. You can't daydream forever." She packed her things and walked away.

I raced out of the classroom and to the cafeteria. Amara was already sitting down at the table. No food in front of her today.

I sat across from her, just to study her every move. Too bad the only thing that moved were her eyes. She glanced at me before going back to her book.

Then she stopped and blinked twice before putting her book down. Her eyebrows furrowed as she looked at me. The dark circles around her eyes, no longer there. She looked better. She looked perfectly fine.

"Are you okay? You've been starring at me for the last five minutes without saying a thing."

Woah, how time flies...

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Very good, actually. How are you feeling?"

"Good. Um, I was going to go to your house on Friday, but as soon as I got out of school my mom called and said Michael was at the house."

"Oh, its cool. I just had to rest. You didn't have to go over." She said.

"I wanted to check on you."

"I know." She cleared her throat while looking around. She leaned over the table just a little. "I actually don't remember much. Everything is a blur."

"Really? I mean that isn't good-"

"Are you sure you're okay? You're acting weird."

I nodded and glanced around. Ben was paying for his lunch and making his way over here.

"S'up guys."

"Hi, Ben." Amara said going back to her book.

"So where's it at?" Ben asked.

Oh my laptop. I had forgotten about that. I took it out of my backpack and handed it to him. "Do what ever you can, please." I begged.

"Holy nuggets! What did you do to it?" Ben looked at me.