Ch1. Make a Friend

From across the cafeteria I leaned on the wall looking around. Almost four years in high school and never able to make a friend. An acquaintance? Yeah I talked to people. But I didn't have an actual friend. Unfortunately it was now at the top of my bucket list. How sad was it to not have one single friend. Everyone over looked me like I was a drop of water. You don't want the drop, it's useless.

Now I want be one of the raindrops that fall onto a car window while running. That raindrop that bumps into another one to become bigger and stronger. That way the bigger raindrop wins the race.

Again my eyes scanned the cafeteria full of high school teens. Studying every table. Starting with the ones that brought more attention to themselves. Like the table full of jocks, dressed in their red football jersey. The blonde boy with an undercut comb over, threw a grape at his friend, who happened to catch it in his mouth. The rest of the boys cheered and banged on the table as if they were celebrating a touchdown.

All the other tables seemed normal. They were eating and chatting. No one cared to do anything different.

I was almost ready to give up. I was prepared to leave the cafeteria and walked away with the idea of dying a loner. A poor girl who wasn't able to make one single friend.

Until my eyes latched on to a light brown haired boy with a mid-fade quiff, who held on to a camera. Across from him sat a girl with short black hair. She had about 15 marshmallows stuffed in her mouth. Next to her another boy with black rimmed glasses, that seemed to be cheering her on.

With the little confidence I had been able to built, I ambled to the table where the three nerdy kids sat. I grabbed a chair next to the boy holding the camera.

"Wow, that is impressive." I commented. "How much does she have in there?"

The boy holding the camera glimpsed at me, his brows raising in surprise. "So far there's twenty-three." He smiled.

"Are you serious?" I faked enthusiasm. I just needed a place to sit and make a friend.

"She's trying to beat my record." The boy with the glasses said. "Only five more to go."

I thought of what to say next. "Do you guys do this often?"

"It's for fun. I need an idea for my next big video." The camera boy said. "Who are you?"

"I'm Amara."

"Nice to meet you Amara. I see you finally got off that wall over there, thought you were going to stay there all year." He grinned. "I'm Clay. That's my friend Ben. And the one with marshmallows in her mouth is Terri."

I gave them a smile and blushed. Had Clay been observing me this whole time? Maybe I was more noticeable than what I gave myself credit for.

Terri stuffed another marshmallow in her mouth. Small beads of sweat starting to appare on her forehead. I didn't think Terri would last much longer. The girl could barely breath with all the marshmallows stuffed in her mouth. She picked up another one looking at the camera, like she was trying to find her motivation to go on with the challenge.

"What's your score?" I asked Clay.

"Haven't done it." Clay replied. "This little challenge was just started yesterday by Ben. He had a bag of marshmallows and didn't want to share. Terri dared him to put all he can in his mouth without swallowing. What ever didn't make it in Ben's mouth would be hers."

"Well you should, it's a challenge after all." I blinked hard trying to get the blur in my eyes to go away. It couldn't come to ruin my chance right now. Stupid sickness of mine.

"Tell you what, if you try it, I'll do it." Clay smriked. I could see clear again!

"Two more!" Ben shouted.

Terri got two marshmallows and pushed them in deep. She was determined to beat Ben at his little challenge. With her finger she lightly pushed the marshmallows further back in her mouth making more room. She grabbed three and stuffed them in her mouth at the same time, mumbling thirty-one.

"You cheated." Ben said.

Terri spit the ball of marshmallows out of her mouth. Stings of saliva sticking to her chin. Everyone looked at the glob sitting on her tray, while she wiped her face with a napkin.

"I didn't cheat, I won and you're taking it like the loser you are." Terri glared at Ben. Clay chuckled at his bickering friends. Terri got up in a flash, taking the tray and the glob, with her. Ben got up going after her.

I sat awkwardly in the chair next to Clay. "Uh, I should go..." I muttered getting up and leaving Clay by himself. I left the cafeteria behind, along with my purpose of going in there in the first place.

I was frustrated with my decisions and my last of options. If I couldn't make a single friend, could I even get anything done on my bucket list? Did I even need it?

I took it out of my pocket walking to the near by trash can. Ripping it in half and crumbling it into a ball, I dumped it in the can. It was useless, just like me.

I put my hands on my hips and looked at the poster that was on the wall next to the trash. Modeling auditions...

"Are you planning on entering?" Clay stood next to me.

"No... I don't see the need."

"They need girls to model the donated prom dresses for girls in need of a prom dress." He explained what I already knew.

"Yeah for prom..." I said. "So where are you're friends?"

"Well you're standing right next to me." Clay gave me a cheeky smile.

"I literally intruded your table about six minutes ago."

"And now you have a place to sit at. Forget about the wall, it'll stand without you." He said. "You pretended to be interested in a girl with a mouth full of marshmallows just to give yourself the time to built up the courage to make a friend."

"I didn't pretended anything." I denied. I was still trying to built that courage needed to be social. This nice guy followed me to say I can be his friend and I felt like a five year old at a playground. It's almost like he knew me.

"I can tell you're lying."

I shrugged. "I'm not good with people. I've never really made a friend so I don't know what to do."

"Can I ask you something?" Clay asked. I nodded. "Why did you move here at this time of year?"

"I gave up on school... my dad thought I needed new surroundings. New scenery. " I wasn't lying, but it wasn't the whole truth.

"Is it working?" He asked, gripping the straps of his backpack. He looked nervous and cute.

"I've been here two weeks. Almost one week at school, and I know nothing nor anyone." I said as the bell rang. "Looks like I should get to class."

"I'll see you tomorrow for that challenge. Perhaps you beat Terri's record." He smirked.

"Yeah, sure." I smiled at him and walked away, leaving him alone once again.

I guess I started off pretty well. I didn't do much but Clay declared himself my friend and that made me happy. I didn't have to beg for a friendship, I just had to accept it.

This small act made me feel strong. I was at the top of the world if even for a few minutes. But I really needed that. I needed to feel like I still had somewhat control of my life.

I was strong. I was invincible. I was raising.

Or maybe I was just a dreamer.