Christmas

Tara

I woke up slowly, my head resting on Zeke's chest,his hand sleepily stroking my hair.
I stretched and ran my fingers across his stomach. He kissed me softly on the top of my head.

"Merry Christmas," he said quietly.

"Merry Christmas to you too," I replied.

We lay there in a comfortable silence, I could hear Rose rattling about downstairs in the kitchen. Through the silence I could almost hear Zeke's thoughts,his worries and concerns. I didn't want anything to ruin today, it had been so long since I had a Christmas that didn't make me feel empty. Mum never celebrated it after Dad died and it was just another day to her. Another day staring at the bottom of the bottle and draining vodka after vodka.

Today it would be different. I was loved and I needed to enjoy it.

My phone rang, Zeke groaned as I wriggled free and I answered it.

"Merry Christmas you wonderful thing!" Poppy screeched down the phone.

I laughed at her, "Merry Christmas Pops."

"I love my gift, thank you so much!"

I smiled slightly, I had painted a picture of her with her parents as her Christmas gift. I just wanted her to know how much she meant to me.

Zeke stretched and rolled out of bed, he pulled a tshirt on and headed to the door. He waved at me as he left and I grinned at him. I had no doubt that he could hear Poppy talking rapidly down the phone.

I spoke with Poppy for a few more minutes then I heard my call waiting beep over her. I checked the screen quickly and saw my Aunt's number flash up.

"Poppy,I need to go. My aunt is on the other line." I interrupted her telling me the list of gifts she had received.

"Sure thing. Have a great day!" Poppy rang off and I quickly answered my Aunt's call.

"Merry Christmas!" I said cheerily.

--------------------------

Zeke

I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. Mum was making coffee. I hugged her and wished her a Merry Christmas.

"Right back at you darling," she grinned at me.

I took a sip out of the cup she offered me and noticed she'd packed a bag full of food. She watched me and smiled.

"You going to see Dad?" I asked.

She nodded, "He seemed brighter last night so I wanted to spend some time with him today, do you mind? You and Tara could come with me."

"I'll see what Tar wants to do, she's talking to Poppy just now." I took another sip of coffee. There was a gnawing feeling in my stomach and I knew it wasn't hunger. Tar and I hadn't exactly come to an agreement about my job in America or her art shows. I loved her, more than I thought I could love anyone and I felt like I was just holding onto her with the tips of my fingers. She could take one step and she'd be gone.

Mum nodded and busied herself popping bread into the toaster and cooking bacon. I sat on a stool and let my thoughts drift.

Tar walked in, her hair up in a curly knot and dressed in dark jeans with a green jumper. I watched her and still couldn't believe how beautiful she was. She hugged my mum tightly and wished her a Merry Christmas. She was chewing her bottom lip slightly.

Mum had just finished telling her about my Dad and Tar smiled.

"That sounds lovely and I'd love to visit him but I have just spoken to my Aunt Leah and she's driven down to see me. I was going to pop out and see her for a few hours."

Tar watched me as she spoke. I felt my stomach drop again.

"Well that's lovely she came to see you!" Mum bubbled. "Why doesn't she come here?"

Tar shook her head, " That's lovely but no, my Auntie wants to talk to me in private about something."

Mum nodded and continued making breakfast. Tar padded over to me and touched my forearm with her fingertips.

"Are you ok?" She said softly.

"Yeah," I nodded. "I'll go with Mum to see Dad and I'll see you later."

Tar blinked and she frowned slightly, "Uh ok. Can I give you your gift?"

Mum spun on her heel, "Yes! We need to do presents!"

She grabbed our hands and dragged us both towards the tree. I laughed at my Mum's childish glee as she handed us our gifts.

I grinned at Tar as she opened the wrapping paper and saw a dark blue thick scarf. She hugged my Mum tightly.

I opened mine and saw a dark box, in it was a watch. Mum watched me closely.

"It was your Dads."

I hugged her and whispered "thanks" into her ear.

Tar handed me a wrapped gift and watched as I opened it. It was a small book. I looked at her and flicked through it quickly. It was her sketches of us.

Me.

Her.

Our hands.

I felt a hard knot form in my throat.

Mum leaned over my shoulder and peeped at the book.

"That's beautiful Tar! You are so talented!"

Tar blushed and lowered her eyes.

I leaned forward and kissed her gently, "I love it. Thank you."

She smiled and took the gift I offered her. She opened the small box and her eyes widened. She reached in and pulled out the silver chain with the dark green stone that hung like a teardrop from it. Her eyes filled with tears as she looked at me.

"I...I love it."

I took it from her and and tied it around her neck. She touched it with her fingers and smiled at me. Tar opened her mouth to speak when the doorbell rang.

"That's my Aunt." She stood quickly and hugged me.

"I need to go."

She looked at me, smiled at my Mum then left. I looked at the book in my hand as I heard the front door open and close.

"Zeke."

I looked at Mum and she smiled at me.

"She's a good girl. I know you love her. What's on your mind?"

I felt the gnawing sensation in my stomach worsen.

"I don't know."