Winter term

Tara

I had stayed at Poppy's last night. It had started to rain heavily so I'd pushed him back to his car. I ran my fingers over my lips, I could still feel the way he had kissed me on them.

I had told Poppy what had happened last night. She wasn't happy that she'd missed a chance to see me fall on my face again. I assured her that it wouldn't be the last time.

We walked up the stairs to the college main building just like we had at the start of term. I hugged Poppy goodbye as she darted off to her classes. I waited for Zeke next to an oak tree. It was the start of winter term and a lot had changed in a few months. My mum was gone, Zeke, falling in love.

I let my eyes drift over the red bricks again, smiling as I remembered how Zeke and I had first met.

"Still looking at the bricks?" I heard whispered in my ear.

I laughed and turned around to see Zeke, the same half mocking smile on his lips. He looked down at me,his dark hair resting on his forehead. I felt a warm feeling spread in my stomach.

He bent down and kissed me, " You look beautiful."

I blushed and shifted my gaze. I don't think I'd ever get used to hearing him say that.

"See you at lunch? I can meet you at your art class?" He asked as we walked to the main building.

"Yes please," I smiled at him, he grinned at me then walked quickly away to class.

I watched him leave, what did I do to deserve him?

"Tar is it?" I turned and saw two people I really didn't want to see. Caitlin and Louisa. They both wore the same sneering expression.

"Yeah," I said nervously. I didn't know where this was going but I had a bad feeling.

Louisa leaned forward and placed one perfectly manicured nail onto my chest, "Stay away from Zeke, he's mine. You're just some sad sack pity case he's taken a shine to. Now do yourself a favour and fuck off."

Caitlin smiled at me, "I mean really Tar, do you think he really likes you?"

I stood up straight, "Yes he does,he told me last night. He wants me, not some neurotic blonde or her creepy sidekick."

Louisa moved closer, "Watch your mouth Tubby. You think you know everything? You know about Zeke's dad?"

I opened and closed my mouth. I didn't know about his Dad. Louisa smiled in satisfaction.

"I knew it. Now, waddle away fatty. You're making my eyes hurt."

Louisa dismissed me with a wave of her hand. I spun on my heel and walked quickly to class so they couldn't see my tears.

---------------------------

"What do you think Tara?" Dan asked.

Dan wasn't your usual teacher, he had thick blonde dreads and wears cords and tshirts instead of the lecturers usual suit uniform. He was only in his 20s so he got on brilliantly with his pupils. I liked him a lot.

"Tara? It's a great opportunity to show your work."

I chewed my lip, "Why me?"

"The other members of the faculty and I discussed it at length. We love your portfolio and as we are going to have another room we'd like you to have your own exhibition at the end of this term."