Day at the beach

Tara

I showered and dressed quickly whilst Zeke finished cleaning the kitchen. I felt so comfortable around him. I couldn't stop thinking about what he said about waiting for me to be ready. Did this mean we were a couple? I'd never had a boyfriend. I didn't really know how to bring it up.

I chewed my bottom lip nervously as I ran my hand through my damp curls. If we were a couple that means I'd have to tell him everything. Mum.Dad.

I felt Zeke's hands slide round my waist  and he leant down to kiss my cheek.

"Ready?" He asked.

I turned around and kissed him softly on the lips.

"Ready."

Zeke

Tar sat in the passenger seat and looked at me expectantly. I grinned as I pulled into traffic and headed along the motorway.

"I take it you don't like surprises?" I asked, feeling Tar's gaze.

She laughed. I loved that sound. It was so spontaneous and she always looked so surprised afterwards almost as if she shouldn't be laughing.

"I don't get surprised that much. I'm just wondering what you have planned."

I smiled at her and tapped my nose, "That's for me to know.."

She groaned and slumped down into the chair, sticking her lip out in a pout. God, she's so cute and she doesn't even realise it.

I drove across a bridge and along a small road. Tar sat up and leaned forward.

"So you are a serial killer? You're going to seduce me and then hide me somewhere where nobody can find me?"She joked.
"Yup, that was my plan all along."
She tapped the dashboard with her hand lightly, "I knew it!"

We laughed and I reached out and squeezed her leg gently.

"Still have to seduce you though.."

She held my hand, "You're not doing too bad a job there, Sullivan."

We drove through a smaller lane and I parked a few miles further up. We were in a forest, the sun was shining and there didn't seem to be anyone around.

Tar got out the car and looked at me quizzically.

"I used to come here a lot with my..when I was younger," I said. "It's got some really great walks but there's something I wanted to show you."

I opened the boot and pulled out our bags. I linked Tar's fingers between mine and we set off. Tar would occasionally let her other hand touch the trees and we made our way through then she gasped as I led her to our destination.

On the edge of the forest was a beach, the sea stretched for miles. There was not a soul there. It was so peaceful. Tar took a deep breath in and held it.

"I love the smell of the sea," she said turning towards me. "This place is beautiful."

I led her down a path and we walked onto the sand. I pulled a blanket out my bag and smoothed it out. Tar stood looking back and forth then she pulled her sketchpad out her bag.

"Do you mind if I.." She asked shyly.

"It's why I brought you here," I said and stretched out on the blanket. She sat beside me,legs crossed and I could hear her pencil making quick movements across the paper. The sound of it and the sea lapping lulled me into a doze.

————————————-

Tara

I sketched quickly, this place was beautiful. I had no idea it even existed. I shaded lines, added definition to curves on the swell of the waves. I could stay here for hours. Soon, I heard soft snores beside me.

Zeke was asleep. His arms spread out and mouth slightly open. I felt a tug on my heart. This guy was amazing and I didn't know how to tell him. I moved slightly and flipped the page of my sketchbook over. Quietly, I set to work. I didn't know how much time I had before he woke.

Zeke

I woke up and Tar was gone. I sat up and looked around, she had kicked her shoes off and was standing at the edge of the water. I jogged slowly towards her.

She turned, hearing me and she took my breath away. Her cheeks were tinged pink and her hair was blowing in different directions. The way the sun caught it almost made it look as if her hair was on fire. She had the biggest smile I had ever seen on her face and her eyes shone. I slowed to a walk and stood next to her. Tar held my hand.

"Sorry I fell asleep," I said apologetically.

"Don't be. It can't be fun watching me draw." She smiled. I noticed the smudges on her fingers.

"Do you like it here?"
"Zeke, I love it. Thank you so much for bringing me here."
"I've never brought anyone here apart from you," I said quietly.
She glanced up at me quickly then looked away.

"Why..why me then?"

" I care about you a lot Tar. I hated that we weren't talking. I missed you. I've never felt that with a girl. You make me feel different. I like the way I feel when I'm around you," I blurted out. I needed to say it quickly or I never would.

"You don't have to tell me what's happening to you. I wish you would but I can't force you. I want you to know that I'll be here for you when you're ready to tell me. I want you to,well, I want you to..." I trailed off and ran my hand through my hair. Saying all these things was difficult for me. I didn't want to let her know how much she affected me but I didn't want her to think I didn't care.

She stood still and didn't say anything. I could feel her arm trembling. I let go of her hand and wrapped my hand around her shoulders,bringing her into a hug.

"I want you too," she whispered.

I glanced down at her, she looked up at me.

"You want me too?" I asked.

She nodded, standing on her toes and kissing me.

"Yes."