Time to say goodbye

Tara

I looked at myself in the mirror, I smoothed out the black dress I wore and reached up to tie my hair back in a bun.

This was it, it was time to say goodbye.

Zeke walked into the room and pulled me into a hug.

"You ready?" He murmured.

I took a deep breath and nodded, "Yes, let's go."

We drove in silence to the crematorium, I stared out the window and watched the traffic go by. It seemed surreal to me, the whole world was going about their normal day and I was going to my Mum's funeral.

The crematorium was an old building with stained glass windows and they had a memorial garden tucked at the back. I felt a tear run down my cheek. My Dad was there.

We walked in and sat down. Aunt Leah wasn't there, she hadn't been able to leave the farm. I knew that wasn't true, she didn't want to be here but I didn't mind. Poppy sat in the row behind me with her Dad, she leaned forward and touched my shoulder. I looked back at her and gave her a small smile.

The service was quick and soon we were back in the open. Zeke had never let go of my hand. He was standing close to me, my ballast in a storm.

Poppy walked over and hugged me tight. "Are you ok?" She whispered in my ear.

I was numb. I nodded.

Poppy's Dad appeared to the left of Poppy. Ian was a tall, well built man. Thick blonde hair in a well groomed wave and big blue eyes. He smiled down at me and pulled me into a bear hug.

"Everything is all sorted, Tara. You've got nothing to worry about now," he said and squeezed me tighter.

"Uh...thanks!" I choked, he released me and smiled sadly.

"You can always come and stay with us you know. Our home is yours," Ian said. He glanced at Poppy who nodded in agreement.

"Thank you, Ian," I replied.

Poppy and Ian waved goodbye then headed towards the car.

This was it. This was all Mum wanted. A small service, no wake afterwards, no flowers and no tears. Just gone. Her ashes would be laid with Dad's.

Zeke reached out and held my hand, "Tar?"

Nobody else was here. Only the five of us had attended the service and now there was just Rose, Zeke and I. My Mum had chosen to love alcohol instead of people and this was the result.

"I'll be back," I whispered,letting go of Zeke's hand and walking towards the memorial garden.

Mum had never let me come to see Dad. She had said that I didn't deserve it. 'Murderers shouldn't visit their victims' she had snarled at me.

I found his small plaque tucked away under an oak tree and bent down next to it. I wiped away the condensation and saw the inscription for the first time.

" Max Phillips, loving husband."

She hadn't even mentioned me on his plaque. I felt as if I had been punched in the stomach. I retched and fell to my knees. Big, rolling sobs burst from me and I couldn't control them. I couldn't believe how much she had hated me.

I stayed there until I had stopped crying. I ran my fingers over the plaque.

"You were my Dad and I was proud to be your daughter," I whispered. I stood up and walked away.

I wouldn't be back, Mum was right.

Murderers shouldn't visit their victims.

--------------------------------------------------