Chapter 1

I walked down the road with my two best friends - Hannah Lease and Emily Farrell. It was the beginning of a hot summer vacation and I was on my way to my first job.

"Hottie at two o'clock, checking you out," Hannah pointed out with a sly look in my direction.

"Who, what, where?" I asked.

"A hot guy, to your right up ahead is totally checking you out," Emily elaborated.

"Oh, well he can stop looking because I already have a boyfriend." I kept walking, not even caring to glance at him.

"Yeah a boyfriend who you're hardly going to see," Emily decided to point out.

"Hey, he can come visit me any time he likes in the ice-cream parlor."

"Yeah right, like he'd do that."

"Whatever," I gave them a mischievous look, "He'll be seeing me at night." I gave them a suggestive wink and they just shook their heads before laughing. "Now come on, we have to hurry before we're late and Victoria fires all our asses."

We walked for the next fifteen minutes in the blistering heat and I couldn't help but curse myself for being too self conscious to wear shorts. Well, at least I wasn't completely uncomfortable since my skinny jeans were a size too big and therefore really baggy so they didn't stick to me.

We walked into the air-conditioned shop and all sighed with relief at the cool air, going into the back.

"So Samantha, are you going to be working tonight at that restaurant again?" Emily asked.

"Yeah, why?" I wondered.

"Well you know, I was wondering when you would get a day off."

I laughed, "That's not happening until school starts, didn't I already tell you that?"

"What? So you can't come over for the sleepover that I have planned?" she asked with shock and annoyance.

"Well I could, but I wouldn't be able to come until like half past one or two in the morning seeing as my shift doesn't end until one," I said as I changed into my uniform.

"Seriously, how long are your shifts?" she asked with slight disgust.

"Well, I start at six."

"Yeah but how long are your shifts before you get a break?" she asked in a 'duh' tone.

"Oh I don't have any breaks," I smiled as I put my clothes in my locker.

"What? But isn't that like illegal or something?" Hannah asked.

"No, not if I asked for it, besides, it's only nine hours."

"Yeah, only nine hours," Emily said sarcastically.

"Seriously Sam, how do you cope, aren't you bored after two weeks of working there already? We've been working in here for the two weeks since summer began and I'm starting to get bored already," Hannah started complaining.

"Yeah well I love it, and it's not like this stupid ice-cream parlor that's like a desert half the time where we're left with nothing to do, bored out of our minds. The restaurant is so fun and it's always busy, how the hell could I get bored?"

I pinned my name tag onto my shirt and looked up at the both of them. "Seriously, all I think about all day – besides my plans for Derek – is going to work there,” I told them as we left the back.

"You are so weird you know that?" Hannah asked rhetorically, but I decided to answer anyway. 

"No I'm not."