Chapter 48 - The Volturi

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!! YOU GUYS HAVE TO READ THIS CHAPTER!!!! It is a REALLY IMPORTANT CHAPTER!! This is the first chapter that sets off A LOT of HUGE upcoming events. It may not seem like it will, but trust me, it will. It is also the first chapter that helps form the sequel because of something that happens at the end. Oh, and a DARK, DARK secret of Sarelle's comes out that she hadn't even revealed to herself. Well, happy reading! (: - LongLiveMusic17

P.S. I want this story to have 135 votes. Okay? Okay! (:

----------------------------------------------------

It was dark. I hated the dark. It may have been a fairly irrational fear, considering my knowledge of the creatures that lurked in the darkness, but nonetheless it chilled my bones.

I reached my hands out in front of me and found them scrabbling on a dry wooden surface. A door? The scent of pine and oak drifted around through hot, stuffy atmosphere. I tried to turn, or shuffled back, but all I felt was another boxed in side. Wherever I had arrived to it was a small dark space, and I thought I could feel pieces of fabric—clothing—hanging around me. An image of Narnia slipped into my mind but it did little to quell the fear.

As the tingle's buzz cleared from my ears I felt my body turn rigid. Screams, crying, bloodcurdling shouts, growls, screeching metal as if it were being torn. They were all that filled the air. My breathing accelerated as the sounds stopped and started until they fell into silence, only the faint crackling of flames took their place.

My hands traced the wooden door in front of me, searching for a handle, but there was nothing. Just the rough surface which threatened to impale my fingertips with splinters.

Smoke drifted up through the cracks in the door and I whimpered as images of roaring flames filled my mind. I could think of no worse way to die than to be burnt alive. I coughed as the sweet, acrid fumes filled my lungs. It didn't smell like the usual kind. There was no woodsy scent, just the smell of thick incense. It was too sweet, too thick, too heavy.

My coughing spluttered as I tried to kick the door open. I'd rather run through fire than choke on this sweet smoke. I could already feel my head swirling with the strength of it.

And then, in flash, the door was gone and in the space where it had been stood a dainty figure of darkness, the fire dancing outside the house it and I stood in. I could see it flickering off its long black cloak, licks of orange and red cutting through the thick violet smoke.

"Well what do we have here?" The figure spoke, and the words were so sweet, so feminine, so deadly, that there was no way it could be anything other than a female vampire.

Her hand shot out, stark white in the dusky darkness, to wrap around my wrist. The strength she used to yank me forward very nearly broke my bones, nearly but not quite. Instead I could feel them bruising and bending in her iron grip.

"Master, we have a live one," she drawled as she turned slightly to the open doorway of the house. Her eyes caught the light, and it seemed like they glowed, a bloody, violent red set in her marble, cherubic face.

No sooner had her words been spoke than another figure appeared before us. He was tall and lean with black hair that seemed to blend with the ebony of his robe. My heart was hammering against my chest as I looked up into his filmy red eyes. They seemed to sparkle as he looked at me, curiosity almost burning away the misty layer over the irises.

"She's so...vital," the girl murmured as she raked her eyes over my body, pausing to stare hungrily at my neck. I knew my heartbeat would be like a calling drum to them, each beat creating a rhythm for their monster to dance to.