Chapter 2 - Goodbye Carlisle

Here's chapter 2! I hope you guys like it. Please comment and/or vote! It would mean a lot to me. (: I'll upload again tomorrow. Thanks guys! (: - LongLiveMusic17

-----------------------------------------------

I would like to recount every passing moment that I spent with Carlisle and his father, Andrew, but time fades these memories into a muddle of everyday life. I soon became comfortable in their home. I helped to keep it tidy and clean, because although I was only nine, I knew how to pull my weight and the importance of contributing to a household.

It was strange how, even though I had no idea how I had come to be in this strange time and place, I now had no intention of ever returning to the orphanage where I had spent what could only be described as the darkest time of my life so far. Those seven days when misery was all that consumed me and loneliness ruled my mind.

Now I was in this London with Carlisle, and I felt none of what had plagued me previously. I was happy to live this simple existence of waking up at the crack of dawn and carrying out my chores 'til dusk. Some may think it was a hard life for a person as young as me but never did I feel down trodden or unhappy with what I had been given.

If life was to be like this for the remainder of my days, I couldn't think of a place I would rather live it than here with Carlisle as my friend and guardian.

The months began to pass and with them my tenth birthday. Carlisle had given me a small leather bracelet as a present. It was a woven thin plat of dark brown mixed with an intricate band of golden wire. The wire had small leaves attached to make it appear like a vine growing over wooden branches. It was simple, but its simplicity added to its beauty. I wore it from the moment he gave it to me, only removing it when absolutely necessary to ensure it didn't get ruin by everyday tasks.

Andrew, unlike Carlisle, gave me no special treatment on my birthday, saying that we should not be so selfish as to celebrate our own existence and should instead dedicate such happy celebrations to the work and existence of God.

I didn't hold this against him; he had already been so generous in letting me stay with them. Feeding me, clothing me, and keeping me safe. He and Carlisle even taught me about the history of England, and the brutal civil war that had raged just a few years ago. I learnt the country was finally turning to democracy thanks to the rule of Cromwell.

I may have had a few years of education already, but there was something so much more interesting about learning through other's experiences than in a silent classroom listening to a teacher. I enjoyed the stories and conversation Carlisle indulged me in. They taught me so much more about life than the regulated lessons that I attended at my school. I did, however, miss some of the aspects of education I had taken for granted those four years before the jump. In this time things were seen in such a different way. Maths, English and Science weren't as important as they were in the future, and in a way I missed that way of learning. I didn't get much time to dwell on my desire to learn, but it would creep up on me in quiet moments of contemplation.

I had been ten for five months now and staying in this place for eight.

I still stayed with Carlisle in his room. It was where I felt most at home, not that it shared any similarities with my old home, but the vibe that Carlisle gave off meant I always felt safest when he was with me. I didn't feel as settled in my bed tonight, because this night Carlisle didn't sleep soundly near me instead he was downstairs planning with Andrew.

Carlisle and his father had spent the past three days planning their next midnight outing. I knew Carlisle didn't enjoy these trips. It would always result in a person being punished for something that seemed impossible for them to do, crimes such as witchcraft, vampirism, or dealings with the devil. Andrew would always be the one to administer the verdict of being guilty. I cringed whenever I remembered the look on Carlisle's face every time another person screamed their pleas before being carried away, whilst the vicious crowd cheered for bloody justice. They were so easily swayed into believing that a person was evil just by hearsay or unusual events. They were scared of the unknown, so anything they couldn't explain became the work of the devil.