Chapter 8 - Ashton and the Incident

Here's chapter 8! My friend and I hope you like it! Please comment and tell us what you think. Thanks guys! (: - LongLiveMusic17

-------------------------------------------------------

Life can either be accepted or changed. If it is not accepted, it must be changed. If it cannot be changed, then it must be accepted.

The sun was high in the sky, and its heat was beating down on Katelyn and I as we walked through the town as we often did. My first month here was almost up, and I had settled into this old western lifestyle easily. I wondered if my ability to adapt was just an innate skill, or if I was just lucky to be sent to places where the people made the transition easy.

It seemed Katelyn's parents couldn't afford to let her go to school; instead choosing to give her what Maggie called the 'education of life'. As Maggie had said, ''Nobody ever drowned in sweat.''

This meant Katelyn was to carry out her chores at the tavern when told, but other than that she was free to fill her time however she chose.

It was interesting that, although she had the freedom to waste her days with endless talk and games, she instead chose to use it to read or learn.

She had the same mind set as me - you don't get anywhere without working to get there. As much as I liked playing or just browsing the shops, I liked reading and playing piano more.

We continued to walk through the town, down Main Street.

"I'm sweatin' more than a whore in church!" I chuckled at Katelyn as she wafted herself. "Momma said I have to be home by four to help with the food. Apparently the soldiers are coming into town to celebrate the resistance. I do hope Major Whitlock visits. It seems like months since he last came into town. I do miss him, and I'm certain he misses me too. Don't you think, Sarelle? Don't you think he misses me as much as I miss him? Then again, you must be more concerned with his comrade Mr. Jameson. He has certainly taken a shine to you, hasn't he? It's a shame he ain't too bright. I mean, if you put his brains in a bumblebee, he'd fly backwards," Katelyn babbled, and I listened with amusement as always. I had become a little more accustomed to her way of talking, but it still entertained me that she could ask so many questions but move on before she got an answer.

"Mr. Jameson seems like a very pleasant man." I didn't say anymore than that. It was true that our new acquaintance was a nice boy who seemed fond of me, but he was still six years older than me, even if I had turned twelve just recently.

Mr. Dale Jameson wasn't of any particular rank in the army, unlike Lieutenant Johnson, or Major Whitlock, but he held himself well and seemed to come from a good family. He often came down to town with Major Whitlock and Lieutenant Johnson, visiting Katelyn and I at the tavern when they came to socialise with the locals.

Still, I was only a girl, and I didn't have quite the same feelings for the soldiers as Katelyn did. She got quite excited when she heard that they would be visiting, dressing in her best clothes and making sure her lovely, dark, auburn hair hung in pretty ringlets.

Tonight would be no different. I often wondered if Major Whitlock or Mr. Jameson ever noticed that she made the effort. If they actually appreciated the act, or if their kind actions towards us were merely because we were sweet young girls and it was polite to be kind to us.

Although Katelyn was certain Mr. Jameson held some kind of affection for me, I didn't return the favour. He was good looking with his mid-brown hair that shone with golden highlights in the sun, and his eyes that seemed a mix of honey and chocolate.

However, there wasn't that part of me that felt the flutter that Katelyn seemed to feel around Major Whitlock.

She would talk for hours about how he made her feel, and how happy she imagined herself being when the war was over and they were together. I didn't feel or think any of that when Mr. Jameson was around, although I was quite comfortable in his presence.