Chapter 30 - Distractions, Marry Me, and It's Going to Ruin Everything

Here's chapter 30! I know it's a long title, but I couldn't think of anything that would summarize the entire chapter and be short. If you're wondering what's going ruin everything, you will find out at the end of the chapter. ;) I hope you like it. - LongLiveMusic17

--------------------------------------------------------

My mind always drifts back to that day when Carlisle talked with Edward, the day that seemed to start the indefinite countdown to the end of my days in Belmore. It was a countdown that was always present but never acknowledged.

I had asked Edward so many times what Carlisle had said, but he never gave me an answer. Instead, his eyes filled with that look of winter and he kissed me with every ounce of emotion in his soul. His kisses ate away at me as much has the mystery of it all. If the others knew about the truth then they too refused to tell me. They just covered it up with a show of their own. Esme distracted me with cooking, reading, and interior design, Alice used shopping and fashion as her method of diversion, Rose engaged me in some snarky banter that allowed us both the vent we needed, Emmett just tackled me to the ground or threw me over his shoulder like a rag doll for a harmless Rottweiler to play with, Jasper used his gift and charm to distract me and Carlisle, well Carlisle spent endless hours analysing everything. Every inch of my physiology had been examined and tested. All these things I loved and enjoyed but none of it gave me an answer or any inkling of the ugly truth they hid.

Months had passed in this way of distraction and as each day passed I grew both more settled and more agitated in equal measure. In some ways their methods of distraction were the perfect cure for how I felt, but in other ways it just increased my concern because with each day that past, each test carried out, and each conversation had, their eyes showed that it was all a facade.

They may have been excellent liars, but not even the greatest liars could truly hide from those who loved them. In the months I had been a part of the family I had grown to love each of them in a way that was different. Because of this I saw the cracks in their facade; I just didn't know what was hiding below it.

Just as Valentine's Day had passed, so did April fools (Emmett's favourite day of the year apparently), and then the first day of summer. We were now into the late days of August, when the days were long and leisurely, and Edward and I spent days in the meadow or visiting the small spring that sat hidden nearby the house. At first we went as a family to the lake to swim and play in the water. However, unfortunately the temperature was far too cold for my human body, so we had changed preference to the heated spring that sat nestled in the mountain. It had amazing cliffs around the edge that, in the silence, played symphonies due to the water droplets trickling down the slate plinths. It was there that I had learnt how to swim and indulged in all the usual water fun a teenager girl did with her loved one. I smiled every time I remembered Edward's anxious expression as he watched me climb to very tallest cliff and walk to the looming plinth that Emmett would often leap off to bomb into the water; he had nearly emptied the pool the last time he had done such an act. I had tiptoed to the edge, loving the adrenaline blasting in my veins, and finally dived off the edge to plunge into the mild water, sinking to the very bottom of the dark pool.

It had been such a pretty sight, the sunlight streaking down through the water, refracting and reflecting off the etched dark stone bottom. Fragments of silver, blue, and mauve danced along the bottom of the pool, visible through the crystal clear spring water. It had been beautiful, and its beauty was only enhanced when Edward sunk down to join me at the bottom, offering me a gasp of air from his lungs. It was loaded with his taste, and I had nearly fainted at the intense feeling it released as it seeped into me. Even as I tried now to remember the taste and scent that had clouded my mind I could never do it justice.