Chapter 17 - This Can't Be Happening

Here's chapter 17! My lucky number! :D Anyway I hope you guys like it! Please vote. It would make me so happy if you did! (: Thanks everyone! You rock! - LongLiveMusic17 

---------------------------------------------------------------

A peaceful calm pre-empts all great storms.

It's strange how saying goodbye can make you feel a sense of completeness. Like when you write the final few words to end a story and suddenly everything you felt as you wrote it just becomes distant. It's as if it's suddenly no longer a part of you. All you're left with is a feeling that can only be described as peace.

That was what I was feeling now.

Peace.

I had spent so long chasing my regrets with empty hope that now it felt strange to realise that I had nothing left to pine for. I didn't feel like unfinished business followed me around. Instead I had tied up my loose ends and I knew that all that was left was a fresh start.

Streetlight pierced the darkness around me and a slight chill chased the light breeze that ran through the streets. I could vaguely make out the regal buildings that line the street I had jumped into, and a sign post reading Rochester Bakery jutted out from a darkened shop window.

The tall stone buildings around me were a mix of shops, tea rooms and homes, each giving off an air of high society and high prices.

I knew I would have to find a place to stay for the night, because it wouldn't be wise to simply try and sleep on the streets. Plus I didn't want to risk ruining my new favourite violet dress by coating it with street grime, although I doubted there would be much dirt to be found on the intricately cobbled paths.

I took a deep breath as the last of the tingle wore off, the electric feeling leaked out through my fingertips back into the atmosphere and returning to whatever place it had come from.

I had never really though how I jumped or what is was in me that caused my body to become a walking, talking time machine, but I knew that it was something in me or something attached to my being. It wasn't just a freak of nature. Everything had an explanation and perhaps one day, when I was more settled, I would be able to search out the reason why I had become what I was.

However, now was not the time to contemplate my existence, now was a time to live it.

My leather flats padded along the cobbles as I skipped across the dips and small puddles that had formed. It had obviously rained yesterday and it had left a damp layer on the cobbles causing them to shimmer in the moonlight that would peep out when the clouds moved.

My body felt light and happy as I passed through the streets, heading towards the denser population in a hope of finding some place to stay.

I didn't get far before raucous voices filled the air and tickled my ears with their echoes.

Part of me thought to follow them, but there was something about the masculine tone and loud laughter that made me feel uneasy. I didn't feel comfortable getting any closer to them, but from the increasing strength of their noise I felt I would have no choice but to encounter them and hope that they didn't bother me.

Flashes of Ashton and that horrific night crept from the recesses of my mind, and I found my steps stuttering as I unconsciously tried to avoid the apparently drunken voices. However no matter where I turned they seemed to chase me through the streets. I knew logically that they weren't following me but logic didn't rule my mind now. Instead all that filled it were memories of kicking, screaming, blood, and pain. I could feel my heart racing at the memory of Ashton's hard eyes glinting at me, enjoying my weak attempts of fighting back.