45

The envelope is heavy in my hand as I walk inside the apartment, being met with Harry whom is leaning against the island, eating a bag of popcorn.

His features turn to confusion as I take out the pictures I received not too long ago, spreading them out on the counter surface.

"He's been watching them Harry, this entire time he's been having them followed." I almost begin to sob, knees feeling as if they may buckle.

Harry's eyebrows come together as he reads over the note which came along with the photos, "I don't know what to say." I watch as his eyes move to each captured image of my parents, shaking his head by the time he's done.

"You may be able to barely protect me Harry, but my parents?" I sigh, "there's just no way."

He laughs bitterly, "it's actually happening, isn't it? In three days I will officially be Nikolai's pawn for the rest of my days, which are most definitely numbered."

His words click with me, and my heart aches thinking of what it could be like if he loses all control if his life.

"I don't know what else to do Harry, I mean just look at this." I point to the photographs, "no one is safe anymore and it terrifies me."

"I'll do as he says, alright? You won't have to worry about your parents or anyone else getting hurt, babe." He brings me into a hug, and I inhale the cologne I love so much on him one last time before pulling away.

"It's not just that," I start. Guilt overwhelms me as I know what I'm about to say.

"What is it baby?" He tilts my chin up with his hand, forcing me to look him in the eye.

"I think we should spend time apart, distance myself from the situation and get my family out of this mess." I say knowing this is a reasonable way to go about things.

"Are you breaking up with me?" He looks and sounds taken back, clearly unable to process what I'm actually trying to say.

"No, I think we shouldn't be together for awhile so that he can't target people like Casey, Liam, or my parents anymore. If it seems like we aren't together then there will be nothing for him to threaten you with."

"He knows I love you though, it will never work."

"Well then make it work, and once he believes it we can find a way to get you out of this mess." I wrap my arms around his neck, pressing my lips to his.

"I don't want to be away from you," he whispers just loud enough for me to hear.

"Neither do I, but we have to deal with this before something unavoidable happens. I don't want to lose my parents, Harry."

"It shouldn't be this way, I never should have involved you in my life." He rambles on, and I can tell that guilt is eating away at him just as it is with me.

"It's a little too late for that," I laugh quietly, heart not really in it. "We're going to figure this out." I say in an attempt to not only reassure him, but also myself.

Harry's POV:

I take quick breaths, hoping to calm my nerves before they cause me to have some sort of panic attack right here in the lobby.

It's been a week since Nikolai made his final offer, and today I will take it.

This isn't what I wanted in my life, but the mistakes I've made are showing as I wait to be called up to the office of the man that haunts me daily.

I hear my name being called by his secretary, who I'm almost positive he's been banging for quite some time now. With the way her hips shake while she walks I can see why he chose to hire her, but she's a redhead, and redheads are almost always bad news.