10

The steps seemed extremely simple compared to opening the door of my apartment. I took several deep breaths, counted to ten too many times before turning the door handle, and stepping across the threshold.

"There's my sugar plumb!" My mother said as she shot off the couch, speed walking across the room, and pulling me into a bone crushing hug. Once she pulled away, my father walked over, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose before pulling me in for one of his traditional bear hugs.

"Hey sweetie." He said tiredly as he pulled away.

"Hello mum and dad, can I ask why you're here, in my apartment?" I asked.

My father opened his mouth to speak, but of course mum cut him off. "Well, we just missed you so much! Everyday was so much harder than the day before." She said before grabbing my face and kissing my cheek.

"Well you could've just called." I said honestly.

"Calling wasn't sufficient enough for your mother, she had to drag me all the way down here." My dad complained, I snickered at him. We've always loved getting on my mum's nerves.

"Arthur!" Mum elbowed him in the side, making both of us laugh.

"Where's Casey?" I asked, peering over their shoulders looking for the familiar blonde hair of my roommate.

"Went to bed awhile ago to do some studying. She seems like a really great gal, I'm glad we chose her to be your roommate." My dad said.

"Yeah, she's really nice." I said before leading them back over to the couch, all of us sitting down.

"So, how was the library?" Mum asked as she sat further back in her seat. "You look awfully nice just to be going there." She added with a questioning tone.

"You can blame Casey for that, she's always using me as her test dummy cod her new makeup." I said, making up a lie on the spot. Luckily, my voice didn't falter a bit.

"Well, I guess it's good you two ladies are getting along then." She said while nodding her head.

"It's pretty late honey." My dad says, suggesting that they leave. I mentally thank him a thousand times over.

"Well we have a hotel room nearby and will come back after your classes tomorrow. I was thinking we could treat you to a nice dinner!" My mother said as we all stood up and walked towards the door.

"Yeah, that sounds great." I said with a smile. They both gave me a second round of hugs, before letting themselves out.

I swiftly shut the door behind them, bringing my back to it before breathing a sigh of relief.

-

I raced up the steps of the classroom, pushing up my glasses to stop them from practically falling off my face.

"Well, well, well, look who's running late." Harry teased as I ducked into my seat.

"My alarm didn't go off, I had to rush and everything."

"I see." He said, eyeing my sweatpants and baggy sweatshirt.

My eyes wavered to his lips, remembering our almost kiss from last night. He must've noticed because he pulled his classic smirk.

"How are your parents?" He asked after I got all of my supplies out, which I probably shouldn't even do because I never use them in this class.

"They're good, just missed me a lot I guess. It's kind of annoying that they showed up out of nowhere though."

"At least you have parents who miss you." Harry spat, an underlying emotion laced in his voice. His eyes turned dark, fists clenching underneath the table.

"I'm sorry, I-I didn't mean to upset you." His eyes switched in a second, back to their gentle green color.

"It's fine." He said, jaw locked in place. I could tell he was still upset, so I decided on silence instead of continually apologizing.

Professor Baldwin came in, delivering has annual thousand word assignment before dismissing class. I gathered my things, getting out of my seat, and followed the other students leaving.

I made it outside until a firm grasp latched onto my forearm, making me spin around.

"I'm sorry." Harry breathed, his face flushed from following me.

"For?"

"For snapping at you like that, it- it was wrong. My parents just don't really care about me, alright? It's just, I would give anything for my parents to randomly show up and surprise me." He said, eyes showing vulnerability.

"I forgive you." I said as soon as he finished speaking.

"That easy?" He asked with a grin.

"Well you're kind of my only friend here." I said, clearly lying because after last night it feels as if he's so much more.

"Oh, so we're friends. I've just been friend-zoned by you, haven't I?" He said with a groan, pouting to add effect.

"If you mean a zone in which all my friends stand, then yes you have." I said, knowing it would annoy the hell out of him.

"God, you're driving me mad." Harry said with a sideways smile. Honestly, he's the one driving me mad at the moment.

"Literally?"

"Literally."

-

"Welcome. Can I get you all something to drink?" Our waiter asked, each of use taking turns ordering our beverages.

"How are your grades?" Mum asked as soon as the we were left alone.

"It's only the second week, mum." I said, annoyed.

"So? That's not an excuse young lady." I internally groaned at her constant eye over my education, but then took it back remembering Harry's words.

"I have all A's. How's Frankie doing?" I asked, wanting to change the subject.

Frankie was our family dog for as long as I can remember. He must be at least thirteen or fourteen by now. He's an adorable little beagle with gray taking over his fur.

"He's still kicking." My dad said, earning a stern look from his wife.

"He's good, I'm sure he misses you so much." Mum said with a forced smile.

"I'm pretty sure he doesn't even remember who I am." I say with a laugh. Our waiter then comes back, getting our orders.

My parents are talking about a neighbor when I notice a familiar boy with dark curls in the back of the restaurant. It's Harry, but his curls are gelled up instead of to the side. He wears a dark green trench coat, and he looks furious. Across from him sits a man whom I can not see. They seem deep in conversation, waving off the waitress as she comes to get their orders.

"Leah, are you even listening to your father?" My mothers voice caused my eyes to shift away from the two men.

"Sorry, I'm listening mum."

For the rest of dinner my eyes constantly diverted to the mysterious men who conversed, and I wondered what exactly Harry's secret was, and why he seemed so damn angry.

(Please vote + comment!)