2 - Game Plan

I rush into the hospital room and see Brax. He's got a purple eye and split lip. He's shirtless, so I can see his bruises are all on his stomach.
"Brax" I gasp.
"It's fine-"
"Danny did this didn't he?" I declare.
"Of course you blame him straight away" Casey scoffs.
"I heard him with you earlier Brax! About the debt you have to pay off. He threatened to show you what could happen"
"It wasn't him Lil, I can't remember who it was"
"Exactly, it could have been him"
"Would you stop blaming everything on Dad!" Heath shouts.
"Would you stop defending him with everything! If I have it right, Danny has beaten you up so many times when we were younger I'm surprised you're still alive!"
"If I remember right, you're just a little girl that doesn't know anything about what happened and still doesn't know because she's too dumb and stupid" Heath glares.
"Oi!" Brax shouts.
"Heath" Casey sighs unimpressed.
I try to hide the hurt on my face and nod.
"I'll see you later Brax, it's clear I'm not wanted here" I say glaring to Heath and walk out.
I wipe the tears that fall down my cheeks and go home. Sleeping it off for the rest of the night.

I wake up hearing a knock. I look over and see it's coming from my window, Nick. I laugh and walk over, pulling it up.
"What the hell are you doing?" I laugh.
"Well, the waves are killer and I'm paying for breaky. You in?"
"Yeah just let me get changed I'll be out in ten"
He nods, "I'll meet ya in the car"
I smile and close the window. Once I'm dressed I walk out into the living room and grab my board. Brax, Heath and Case are all at the kitchen table.
"I'm going out with Nick, see you later"
"Hey Lil-"
"I'm not talking to you Heath" I cut him off and continue walking outside.
I put my board in the ute and jump in the front seat.
"Alright let's get some waves!" he howls.
"You're the nuttiest person at seven o'clock in the morning you know that?" I laugh.
"Only at seven o'clock" he jokes.
I roll my eyes and we head to the beach. Nick has been my best friend since I was six. He's a year older, but use to be in my grade. I'm turning sixteen, he just turned seventeen. Which means he just got his license and now thinks he's awesome cause he can drive anywhere anytime. We go for a surf and then when we are at breakfast, I see Dad.
"Hey Nick, mind if I cut our morning fun short?"
"Nah all good, do what you gotta do" he says.
I nod, then get up and make my way to Dad.
"Can I have a word with you outside? Now"
I leave the diner, Dad following me out. We walk into the surf shed to get some privacy.
"What's this about sweetheart?"
"Don't sweetheart me. I know what you did to Brax. How could you do that to your own son and leave him out there by the side of a road?" I yell.
"He was taught a lesson, you don't mess with Danny Braxton-"
"You're his father!"
"You do not cut me off young lady I am your father and he, you, all of you do what I say" he demands, holding me up against the wall, his hand tight around my throat, "I thought you'd be smart. But you're not, you're not Braxton at all"
He scoffs and squeezes my throat tighter. I gasp for air and try pushing him away. He finally lets go and I collapse on to the ground. I breathe in as much air as I can and look up to Danny.
"Don't you dare talk to me like that again. You don't raise your voice and you do not judge me. You have no right. Because of that, you'll have to make it up to me. I'll remember that"
He walks away and I hold my neck, my hands shaking scared. I quickly stand up and rush home. When I get inside, Heath is in the living room.
"Hey, no listen to me!" he sighs and grabs my wrist pulling me to him.
He looks at me shocked.
"You've been crying. Why do you have bruises on your neck? Who did it?" he demands.
"What's going on?" Brax asks, walking in from the backyard with Casey.
"She's been crying and has bruises on her neck. Lil who did it?" Heath pressures.
"You don't want to know" I state.
They're all silent.
"You're kidding me? It was Dad, wasn't it?" Brax asks.
"Was it?" Casey asks shocked.
"I'm so sorry. I tried to talk to him but he thought I was overstepping. He said I owe him now. I'm so sorry Brax I didn't realise he'd react-"
"Lillie, you do not have to be sorry. This isn't your fault you didn't deserve him grabbing you. Are you alright? Does it hurt?" he asks, putting his hands on my arms.
"I'm okay, it only hurts a little bit. I'm fine"
"Are you sure?"
"I'm sure Brax"
"Okay stay here, get an ice pack on your neck alright it will stop the bruises from getting too bad"
"Where are you going?" I watch as Brax grabs his keys, "Brax don't please!"
He leaves the house and Heath follows after him. I look to Casey and wipe the tears on my cheeks.
"I didn't mean for this to happen. I'm sorry"
He grabs me and pulls me to his chest, hugging me tightly. He strokes my hair and tells me it's all going to be okay.

It's been an hour when Heath and Brax finally get home.
"What'd you do?"
"Couldn't find him" Brax sighs frustrated.
"Lillie" Heath walk over to me and sits beside be, "I am so sorry. What I said yesterday was way out of line and not true. You were right and I have been stupidly blind about Danny. I know this is all my fault for helping him get out, I'm sorry Lil, can you forgive me?"
"Of course. Blood and Sand" I quote.
He nods and then wraps his arms around me, hugging me tight. I stand up and go over to Brax.
"Please, don't find Danny, beating him up isn't going to do any good. Brax, how are we going to get his money?" I question.
"I have a plan" he declares.
"Let's hear it" Heath states.