10 - Listen to who you Trust

"Nick take Case and Heath to Heath's flat please, get them some water"
"No we want to watch you two fight!" Heath laughs.
"Yeah! Cat fight! Come on j need the drama! It's like TV" Casey adds, Heath agreeing.
Nick scoffs laughing and shoves the boys out to Heath's Flat right across the hall.
"You are just a princess aren't you! You complained about your fathers friends! Then get my sons blown up! Now you go to shoot my husband! How dare you think-"
"Are you serious? Danny's friends beat and raped me! Danny is the one who tried to blow your sons up, and me, by the way! And I shot him because he was going to hurt my brothers, your son!" I yell furious.
"You don't get to use that tone with me! I birthed ya! Which means I can say what I want! You are the reason all this has happened! I am sick of you being so stupid and hurting my boys!"
"Don't you hear what you are saying? I am your daughter too! You have the boys and me!" I plead, begging her to just notice I am here for once.
I lied, it does bother me. It always bothered me. She was so lovely and nice to the boys when we were younger, but no, not once to me. Only in front of the cops. The door opens and Brax is between Heath and Casey laughing, probably at whatever dumb and dumber did. He goes to talk but mum puts her hand out to him.
"I wish I never had you. You are my worst mistake I've ever made, your father would agree on that with me. As far as I'm concerned, you're not a Braxton! You're just a piece of dirt that's stuck on my shoe, that never bloody leaves" she yells.
"Mum!" Brax shouts.
I nod. Then walk past her and see Heath and Casey.
"Enough drama for you two?" I snark mad, both of them looking sober and more sad by the second.
"Lil-"
"No Brax, when both of your parents say you're not a Braxton. It's not a coincidence. I'm not a Braxton, I've known it my whole life, just took my own father and mother to finally tell me" I scoff sadly.
I move past him and see Nick.
"I'm okay, I just want to be alone for a while okay?"
He nods, seeing that I really do need to be alone. I think of walking away, but I don't. Instead I turn around and walk back inside.
"What do you want? Just tell me why are you here?"
"I'm here to stay. I want to stay with the boys-"
"You lost all of Danny's money to pokies and booze didn't you?"
"You have no right-"
"I know! You can have my room" I state.
"What?" Case asks confused.
"I damn well will I wasn't going to sleep on the couch and these boys need a good nights sleep-"
"I know I am not good enough for you!" I shout.
My heart said; enough is enough.
"I've known that my whole life Mum! But I never stoped trying to be what you wanted me to be. Everyday, I tried. I have you all my pocket money, I grave you all the money I found on the ground because I thought it would make you like me more. But you know what you said, you said 'You're brothers work for this money, you're pathetic and just find it. Then Daryl gives it to ya to make you fee special'. I was six" I state, my voice breaking, "But I'm done. I'm done trying. I'm done with taking all your crap. I'm sorry I'm never going to be enough for you. That I'm not one of your boys. Or perfect or pretty or smart or useful. I'm really fucking sorry"
I didn't it. I said it to her face. Before she can say anything to me, I turn to Brax.
"I'll stay with Nick, don't worry. I'll come get some clothes tomorrow" I nod, then walk past him grabbing Nicks hand.
"You okay?"
"Yeah, I actually, fee great" I chuckle surprised.
He laughs and kisses my forehead. We get into his car and he drives to the motel. He has lived in a one room since he started working at the restaurant. The rent is cheap and Brax helps pay it. Like he said, Nick is family. We walk into the room and Nick jumps on the bed.
"Sleep?"
"TV? Popcorn? Snuggled under the sheets?" I suggest.
"Yes" he nods happily.
I smile and jump under the sheets, choosing a movie as he gets the popcorn ready. There is a knock at the door and I look to Nick confused. He goes over, looks through the peep and then opens it up to show Brax.
"Can I talk to you Lil?"
I nod and get out of the bed, walk to Brax. We walk down the stairs of the motel and sit at a nearby picnic table.
"I'm sorry about mum, I didn't know she was coming otherwise I would have been there"
"I know Brax, it's okay. I'm sorry she's asking you for money again"
"I didn't give her any. I called up and got her job back at the fish market, now, its up to her. I'm making Heath drive her back tomorrow for being an idiot tonight with you. I'll get Casey back some how" he scoffs shaking his head.
"They were okay Brax, just what they said turned out to be true so I got annoyed. But they're okay" I sigh shrugging.
"You may not be a Braxton in the old mans eyes or mums. But tell me one think Lil, would you trust them?"
"No, never"
"Do you believe what the say?"
"I try not to"
"What about me and the boys?"
"Is trust you all with my life and I have on many occasions. I trust you with everything and believe everything you say" I declare.
"Good. Because I'm telling you now, you're a Braxton. Heath knows you're a Braxton and Casey knows you're a Braxton. It's your last name, it's your life, it's who you are. Trust me, you're definitely a Braxton, you certainly surf like one" he chuckles proudly.
I smile and rest my head on his shoulder, both of us looking out to the waves.
"Thank you Brax" I smile.
Everything he said just seems to have put some of my broken pieces back together.
"So, you and Ricky?" I nudge.
He chuckles, shaking his head looking at the ground.
"We all knew that was gonna happen as soon as she stepped foot into the Bay" I tease.
"All right all right cool it" he laughs.
"Oh come on! You two have always crushes on each other, it was unbearable to be in the same area as you two when we were younger!"
He playfully puts his hands on my mouth and I laugh, pulling them down.
"Okay, okay. I'll stop! I'm going back to Nick, you have fun dealing with mum" I state.
"Yeah, I always do" he scoffs sarcastically.
I laugh and kiss his cheek, then I go back up to Nicks room.