5 - Hurting and Hiding

It's been two days. Brax gave Danny all his cash three nights ago. I wake up again, gasping for air from my nightmare. I take a sip of my water and a deep breath. I get dressed and walk out into the living area.
"Morning" Case smiles.
"Hi"
"Brax is at the restaurant, Heath is at the gym"
"I went to bed so early I forgot, did Brax see Danny in the bag yesterday?"
"No, just like the day before. He's gone Lil, for good he got his money so now it's all sorted, Danny is gone" he nods happily.
"Good, I know it's great" I sigh relieved.
"Yeah, well, I've got to head to the gym I'm late to teach a class. There's no food but Brax is on his way home with breakfast for you" he says rushed, stumbling out the door.
I laugh, rolling my eyes. I go into the kitchen, when I hear the door open again.
"What did you forget?"
Except when I walk around the wall, I don't see Case, it's Danny.
"You need to leave right now" I shake.
"Aw come on sweetheart-"
"Don't call me that. You got your money, so leave"
"God, you're my greatest disappointment you know that Lillie? You're my biggest regret and my worse decision! You are a weak little girl that makes me look bad. You embarrassed me in front of my boys! That can't happen" he roars.
"I get it Dad, I'm not good enough for you and I never will be. I got that. Just leave, please"
"God, begging. Could you be anymore of a girl?"
He starts walking angrily towards me. I hit his stomach causing him to bend over and I run outside.
"Lil what's going on?" Nick shouts.
He catches me in his hands and when he sees Danny storming out, puts me behind him.
"Go on hide behind him! You weak little-"
Nick punches him hard in the face knocking him to the ground, then punches him again before he can stand up.
"God, I've wanted to do that for years" Nick scoffs.
"Oi! Hey!" Brax shouts, he runs over to me, "Are you okay did he hurt you?"
"I'm okay, Nick was here before he could hurt me"
Brax picks up Danny and throws him away.
"Leave, you go for money so go" he demands.
"I think I might stay longer. I like Summer Bay" he chuckles, getting into his car and driving away.
He drives off in a loud rev. Brax turns to me to say something but I beat him too it.
"You promised he would not cause trouble Brax! Look what's happened!" I blurt mad, "I have tried my whole life to not be involved in your River Boy schemes and trouble. Well I guess I am stupid because I pulled myself right into this one"
"Lillie..."
"I am scared! I wake up from nightmares every hour during the night! I am scared and I know that word doesn't exist in your world, but right now, it's the only word in mine. I want to be okay, I want to be strong enough to hand this and be happy. But I don't know how to" I admit.
I realise there are tears falling down my cheeks. I sniff and wipe them away fast. I walk away fast. I finally get to the beach, shortly after I find a spot and sit in the sand, Nick sits down beside me.
"Why didn't you tell any of us Lil? We've been with you, why didn't you tell us how scared you are?"
"Sometimes it's easier to not talk. To anyone, about anything. It even feels better, like it never actually happened. Plus, I'm already weak enough in your eyes-"
"Quit that bull Lil" he cuts, "You are strong and brave. You're kind, smart, funny and beautiful. That is all I see in my eyes when I see you and it's what the boys and everyone else sees"
"Everyone but my own father"
"He's not your father Lil and you know that. He's a drunk gambling dog. Forget him, erase him and all the stupid false words he's said to you"
"I feel so stupid. It's my fault. I don't know why I let his words hurt me so much. Maybe it's because he's my dad, and I always just wanted a Dad to watch me when I surfed and that would watch me graduate. I just leave my heart open for him to break and I don't know how to...not" I explain confused.
"Danny and his mate hurting you was not your fault. Yeah, you have Danny you're heart because he's your father. But you sure as hell didn't ask him to drop it"
I turn and look at him, my eyes filled of water. He grabs me and holds me in his arms as I cry heavily into his chest.

Nick walks me home and into the house. Brax stands up from leaning against the couch and looks to me worried.
"I'm sorry. None of this is your fault. You couldn't have stopped any of what has happened. I'm getting better, I will. I promise I won't lie to you anymore. I love you Brax"
"Come here" he instructs as tears start falling down my face again.
He wraps me in his arms and holds me tightly.
"Would you have been better off without me Brax? Without having to had looked after me when I was little, now? Did I embarrass you around the boys because I was a weak girl?"
"Lillie, listen to me. If we didn't have you in our life's, then we would all probably be dead. You are the glue that holds this family together and you never once embarrassed us. You were royalty in the River Boys, every one of the boys loved when you hung out! I would not have been better off without you, my life would have been very dull"
I nod and then wrap my arms around him.
"I'm going to go try and have a nap"
"Okay"
I go to my room and close the door, then I get out my phone.
"Hey Stew"
"River Girl Braxton! What can I do for you?"
"You having a party anytime soon?"
"As a matter of fact I'm having one tonight at  my house, why, you interested?"
"Yeah, what time, I'll be there"
"Ten o'clock start. I'm glad you're finally turning into a trouble maker Braxton! I'll see you there"
"Yeah, see you then Stew and, let's keep me going to ourselves okay?"
"Sneaking out! Even more like a Braxton! Love it"
"Ten o'clock, have me a drink ready" I hang up the phone.

I told the boys I was going to bed and house ago. I lock my door, getting dressed, putting makeup on to cover the bruises on my face. It does it perfectly, mainly because they have faded a lot. I put on a tight, checkered dress, then my combat boots and a over-sized denim jacket. I open my window quietly and climb out. Starting to walk to the bus stop. Stew lives about twenty minutes away on the other side of the Bay. I get to his house and the music is blaring down the street. I walk inside and Stew greets me quickly holding a red cup. I grab it and chug it all down in one gulp. He howls.
"Lillie Braxton is in the house!" he announces, everyone cheering after.
I laugh and Stew puts his arm around me. I continue to drink and dance with Stew, a couple of other random guys as well. It's been about and hour and a half, a lot of vodka later and I see Nick.
"Lil! What the hell are you doing?"
"Having fun! Join!" I cheer.
He pulls me up off Stews lap and grabs him by his collar.
"What do you reckon Brax, Heath and Casey Braxton would do to you if they found out you have there fifteen year old sister alcohol?" he shouts.
Stew looks concerned but laughs.
"Don't mess with her again, don't give her alcohol again. Or I'll bash you" Nick threats.
"Nick!" I sigh.
"It's alright babe, I'll see you later" Stew chuckles.
Nick punches his face and then turns around, grabbing me and walking me out.
"Why'd you have to do that?" I yell.
"What the hell are you doing here Lil? This isn't you!"
"Maybe it is now, I'm a Braxton after all aren't I?"
"Lil, if this is what it's about-"
"It's not about anything. I wanted to party and drink, so what? Everyone does it. Now are you going to take me home or am I going to have to walk?"
"Get in the car" he sighs.