Eight

Eight

"No, that doesn't look right." I muttered to myself as I stood in front of the mirror for about the fifth time this morning. I let out a huff as I took in my awkward appearance, something that I just couldn't get right this time. I've dressed myself for work five days a week for as long as I could remember but today I just couldn't find something I was particularly happy with.

I went  from wearing just jeans and nice plaid over-shirt all the way to a full suit, which was what I was staring at right now. In my head every single outfit I put on this morning looked absolutely ridiculous. I've never had to impress someone since I've met Niall or when I was trying to land a job. For Niall, I apparently was fine just they way we had met, but with job interviews I knew I had to look and play this part. I did think of my first date with Niall as a little bit of an interview only because we asked each other questions to get to know each other. He didn't need me to dress in a nice suit.  

"Whoa," Niall commented as he came from our shared bathroom in a pair of blue denim jeans that didn't look too loose or too tight. "Are you going to meet the Queen this afternoon?" He joked as his eyes roamed over my most recent outfit change.

"Niall," I groaned at him as I stuffed my hands into the pockets of one on my dressier pair of trousers, my fingertips sliding around the thin delicate fabric. "I can't decide on what I should wear. We have to make a good impression on them or else they could disregard us." I tried to reason to him but he probably thought I was talking crazy about the simplest matter of dressing myself. 

"Well, they might think we have more money than we actually do." He mused as he moved around me to open one of his drawers, his fingertips skimming the first thing on top of the pile of clothes.

My eyes peered down to see what he could so easily be choosing to wear, knowing Niall he wouldn't be too picky. I noticed as he picked out a plain white shirt first, which I was about to comment on just because I didn't want him and I to look too different from one another. We share a life together and I felt balanced with him. Then he picked out a black knit jumper with small tan and white speckles mixed in with it. 

I let out a sigh. "It's so easy for you." I grumbled, half sounding miserable that I couldn't be like him and the other half sounding more playful.  

"What do you mean, babe?" Niall asked me as he placed his arms into the sleeves before he pulled the knit jumper over his head, his dry hair popping out of the collar before I could see his face again. He gave me another look as he sat down on the end of our bed. 

"I mean you're just the type of person who can just go with anything like it's no big deal. Sure, you're also still a realistic thinker and all but," I looked down and let out a sigh once I realised my ramblings weren't going to get me anywhere. "I mean, look at me." I removed my hands from my pockets to gesture at what I was wearing. 

He did look at me. It was a more meaningful stare than I was expecting. Niall's blue eyes studied my face only, never roaming over the rest of my body. When I caught his gaze I felt another sigh building up in my chest as I breathed. 

"What I see is my boyfriend being very nervous and frantic about something that could change his life. He wants everything to be perfect because he believes that would make judgment on who he is as person to be better.

"See? There you go being all you." I slapped my hands down at my sides before I sat myself next to him, resting my head against his shoulder gloomily and then letting out a groan.

"And that's all you need to be too, love. If it makes you feel any better the way that you're acting is quite normal for you because you're stressed out over this." He leaned his head to gently touch his head against mine affectionately. His arm went around my shoulders so his hand could rub slowly up and down the sleeve of my dress shirt. It didn't matter if the material was in the way because I still felt something so reassuring in his touch.