Eighteen

Eighteen

The following weekend after Grace's, first meeting with Dr. Payne, as well as ours, was spent getting all of the new information that we received together in more of an order. I really wanted to make sure I could keep track of everything because this was probably the most important thing we've ever done in our lives. Plus, I needed to feel like I had some sense of control over this.

Telling Louis everything made me feel a little bit more collected because I was able to recall a lot of things that I heard from Dr. Payne to him. We had him on speaker phone so Niall could pitch in with what he wanted to say, or what I couldn't remember.

I think Louis understands all of this medical chatter more than we do because he's probably been dealing with it ever since Grace was born. Sometimes I go back to his blog post about finding someone to help him and Grace out to read over what Louis says about Grace. He sounded so professional like a doctor.

Oh, and a little side note about the blog post, it was updated to include a 'thank you' to everyone who had reached out and that Grace was welcomed into a loving home to take care of her during the time of her medical procedures. I may have felt a sense of pride wash over me when I read that. I showed it to Niall

Louis missed Grace a lot. Even though he told me that, I could also hear the distraught in his voice. He sounded like he's been crying for a few days and his throat needed time to recover from all of it. I couldn't even begin to imagine what he's going through with being separated from his little girl. Yeah, I was going to be sad about having Grace and her presence leaving our home but I would feel happy about it at the same time because we'd be passing her back off to her father. She'd be healthy and happy. The reunion was going to show me that what we did was worth everything.

Niall had gone out Saturday morning with Grace to the market to get groceries. As much as I wanted to join them on their little trip, I chose to stay home and tidy up some. Grace's toys were randomly spread out around the house along with cups and blankets. Niall and I have both stepped and tripped on many of those things. I was able not to curse when I hurt myself on one of them. I couldn't say the same for Niall

I also wanted to let Niall have more one-on-one time with Grace aside from just putting her in her crib when it came to her bedtime. I get to have her practically everyday because I'm the one staying home with her and Niall mainly gets the weekends if he's lucky not to have work to still do. I feel more secure about the bond that I have with her and Niall's told me he sometimes feels like Grace doesn't understand who he is.

There was one day at lunchtime when I was feeding Grace, and then cleaning up after her, that I rambled on and on about Niall. I told her stories of how we met and first starting dating, the funny and clever things that Niall's said or done, how loving of a person that he is, and whatever else about Niall I could come up with to let her know that he's one of the greatest people I have ever known.

That made me start to look at the times we were having together now. Now that our main focus was on Grace, we hadn't spent as much of our own one-on-one time together. It was pretty much impossible to unless Grace was having a nap or sleeping the night away. I never really thought about our dynamic as a couple once we took Grace in.

We shouldn't have to ignore the fact that we're in a loving relationship just because we've added another person into our own little family.

Niall and I started to distance ourselves from one another when we began to discuss the idea of even having a family. Now, we're distancing oursleves when we have a practice shot of having a family. When we have our own true family together, I don't want there to be any distance.