Sixteen

Sixteen

In comparison to Grace's first night sleeping here, the second night was pretty much the same. She still cried herself into exhaustion and I still didn't want to be the one to leave her. I thought that she'd be better because we placed her stuffed animals into the crib with her.

Niall had told me that she, maybe, needed to be alone without me watching her every single second. I couldn't help it. I made a promise that I was going to be there for Grace and I was not going to break it. I also didn't want to break her heart, one that we were going to help fix up for her. 

Since Niall had work in the morning, I told him that he could just go onto bed. He didn't leave until I left with him.

"She'll be all right," Niall had told me once we were tucked up in bed together.

Before he turned his table lamp off, he handed me the baby monitor that was broadcasting Grace's cries, no longer frightening wails. 

I didn't fall asleep until there was silence, which I told myself not to get up and check on her to see if she was still alive. I wasn't going to mention that bit to anyone.

Breakfast had gone off just as the first, except Niall had to leave by the time I set Grace up into the high-chair. Niall hugged me goodbye and went over to Grace, leaning down to tell her 'goodbye' as well.In return, Grace attempted to cover his entire face with her tiny hand. We shared a chuckle before Niall was out the door. 

That left Grace and I together for the day.

After I fed her, I sat on the couch with her on my lap, facing me. She could keep herself up but I still rested my hands onto her back. Her fingers were in her mouth, droll bubbling at the corner of her mouth. I looked down at her and she was enjoying doing that. I let her be until she took her hand from her mouth, reaching over and touching my bare arm. As much as I thought I wouldn't care that I had Grace's drool on my skin, I knew it could have been far worse than that.

"So, what do you want to do today?" I asked her sweetly. "We have a few hours until Niall rings up. Then I'll have to make an important phone call to the doctor's office." I paused as she looked away from my eyes and focused on my shirt, her hand leaving my arm to grab at it. "The doctor's going to be the one taking care of your heart." I brought one hand from her back to place my entire hand on her torso, giving her a gentle rub.

I was nervous for that phone call because it meant that Grace was one step closer to getting that surgery. Yeah, it was going to be life-saving, but just picturing it made me feel a bit ill. I had to put on a brave face for her.

I wondered how many doctor appointments Louis had to take Grace to and if she could even comprehend what any of it even meant. Was she afraid? Grace probably had no clue what was really going on. 

"What do you think about that, little girl?" I asked her. "Hm? I reckon you're not afraid of any doctors." I had no idea if she cried at all during examinations. I knew I was probably going to tear up myself whether she did or not.

I sent her a small smile and put my hand back on her back, joining my other. "It's Monday today and, according to your dad, you get to watch your video. Now, I've never seen it so may I join you?" 

"No," She said, her fingers curling around my shirt.

My lips turned into a pout, pretending to be hurt by being turned down by a one-year-old. "Niall told me you don't understand what 'no' even means but you were rather quick to answer that one." I teased lightly before letting out a sigh. "I guess I'll leave you to your video without me."

Grace made a few babbling noises as she let my shirt go, poking her finger at my torso after. I barely even felt it. I had no idea how she was keeping herself entertained by doing that but it kept the pressure off of me to try to make her have fun.